Lib Dem Sheffield conference 11 March to cost SY police 2M

I have to wonder if the Council didn't 'volunteer' Sheffield as a venue. It would seem pretty stupid though given the local antipathy towards Nick Clegg....or perhaps the LibDems on the Council still see him as the boy wonder.

These conferences are booked about 2 years in advance. Everywhere else wants them because of the business they bring. The cost of extra security for government party and main opposition party conferences is usually paid by the Home Office. If they aren't doing that this time, I would like to know why.

So now all the Labour agitators want to create a bad impression of Sheffield by rioting on the doorstep, and complaining about the security that they make necessary. This is from the party that carted off a heckler using anti-terrorism powers.

Full of contradictions here...

1/ Why will Sheffield residents be tarnished?

2/ Why would the Police cause a major incident?

3/ WTF did the Tory Party EVER give to Sheffield anyway?

Your assuming that the protests will be violent, and every protester i have spoken to have made a big point of stating PEACEFUL protests

Some people on here need :help:

Talk is cheap though, you just wait, they'll smash Sheffield to pieces ... I do hope the Police have a zero tolerance policy on anyone causing trouble, as this could get out of hand quickly

I am almost scared to think what Sheffield will look like on Monday morning, hopefully no shops etc will be smashed up and no one will try to kill a policeman like the idiot with the fire extinguisher did in london

Students complain against politicians not spending enough money on education and making them pay more for it ... then make us all pay £2 to police it because they cant be trusted not to try and kill someone again and smash Sheffield up ... And these are meant to be educated people ...

These conferences are booked about 2 years in advance. Everywhere else wants them because of the business they bring. The cost of extra security for government party and main opposition party conferences is usually paid by the Home Office. If they aren't doing that this time, I would like to know why.

So now all the Labour agitators want to create a bad impression of Sheffield by rioting on the doorstep, and complaining about the security that they make necessary. This is from the party that carted off a heckler using anti-terrorism powers.

Yes - a golden opportunity for anonymous labour agitators to create a bit of mayhem knowing full well the LibDems will get the blame. Very handy ammunition for the local elections.

Students complain against politicians not spending enough money on education and making them pay more for it ... then make us all pay £2 to police it because they cant be trusted not to try and kill someone again and smash Sheffield up ... And these are meant to be educated people ...

Yes, I'm sure it's only students who'll be out protesting... :roll:

The Lib Dem spring conference in Sheffield was announced in February last year.

The cost of policing it comes entirely from the South Yorkshire Police Authority budget. There is no gaurantee that the government will agree to meet any or the full amount of the costs - which are coming out of police budget reserves.

Link: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/at-a-glance/top-stories/lib_dems_conference_to_be_costly_for_police_1_3077323

So now all the Labour agitators want to create a bad impression of Sheffield by rioting on the doorstep, and complaining about the security that they make necessary.

Yes - a golden opportunity for anonymous labour agitators to create a bit of mayhem knowing full well the LibDems will get the blame. Very handy ammunition for the local elections.

What utterly ridiculous accusations. Neither of you have any evidence to support your claims of "Labour agitators ... rioting on the doorstep" because your claims are simply false and just political smears.

Hmmm, maybe you should open your eyes a bit more and read any thread on this forum which details Clegg and the Lib Dems coming to Sheffield.

As for "political smears", we've put up with plenty from Labour, how's it feel when the boot is on the other foot?

Surely the fact they've chosen Sheffield is because it's relatively central in the UK and the party leader's constituency is there.

Common sense surely?

I would agree with donuticus but add that perhaps another reason why Sheffield was chosen was because last February (when the decision was made to come to Sheffield) there was an expectation that the Lib Dems might have 2 Sheffield MPs and possibly because the spring conference would provide a springboard for the Lib Dems to cement their hold on Sheffield in the forthcoming local elections.

How times have changed though.

The Lib Dems failed to win a second Sheffield parliamentary seat. The recent and nearby Barnsley Central parliamentary by-election saw the Lib Dems slip from 2nd to 6th place with an almost unprecedented lost deposit.

Nick Clegg is now perceived to have sold out on his political values for the title of Deputy Prime Minister and in the process gone from being king-maker before the general election to being Cameron's tea-maker.

As for "political smears", we've put up with plenty from Labour, how's it feel when the boot is on the other foot?

Thank you for agreeing with me that posters are indeed resorting to political smears.

I think it's a great idea the conference has come to Sheffield- it will put so much back into the local economy just at the time we need it. Just think people from Rotherham Council who have had their hours cut could serve Clegg his meals in the restaurants and do a spot of washing up after.....maybe some of the police staff that are facing imminent redundancy or have already left voluntarily before pushed could turn their hands to a bit of bar work ........I'm sure I've heard somewhere that the private sector was going to create enough growth and new jobs to absorb all the public sector workers that are being given the push.

What utterly ridiculous accusations. Neither of you have any evidence to support your claims of "Labour agitators ... rioting on the doorstep" because your claims are simply false and just political smears.

No evidence of course, - you have evidence that it won't happen ?

Nick Clegg is now perceived to have sold out on his political values for the title of Deputy Prime Minister and in the process gone from being king-maker before the general election to being Cameron's tea-maker.

Political smears....political sneers; not much difference in my book, all is fair in love, war and politics. Where in your esteem would Nick Clegg be now if he had formed a coalition with the Labour party ?