Thor's Tipi Set For New Temporary Venue On Former Site Of Mid City House

IMG_4249.jpeg

Thor's Tipi, a new food, drink, and entertainment venue, is set to bring life to the site of the demolished Midcity House in Sheffield city centre. This temporary attraction is planned to occupy the vacant plot bordered by Pinstone Street, Furnival Gate, and Union Street, pending approval from Sheffield City Council. Previously, Thor’s Tipi was a popular destination at the Peace Gardens during the Christmas Markets.

Plans submitted by Fabler & Co. Ltd reveal a venue featuring a single-story building clad in 'scaffold board-style timber' with roll-up PVC windows. Rising above will be a tipi structure, giving the venue its distinctive look. The site will include outdoor seating arranged around planters and timber fencing. The application proposes operating hours from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., with the last entry at 10:45 p.m. The venue will close only on Christmas Day. Live music will be limited to between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.

The planning application indicates that Thor’s Tipi would facilitate food vendors on an 'ad-hoc basis' in the external area. Events will include live music, street food markets, and quizzes, designed to engage and entertain visitors. The project aims to provide a temporary but valuable use of the empty site, generating new employment opportunities and adding vibrancy to the city centre.

The proposal seeks to elevate the appearance of the cleared plot while contributing to Sheffield’s food and drink scene. With its eye-catching design and range of activities, Thor’s Tipi has the potential to enhance the city's social landscape, offering locals and visitors alike a lively and inviting space in the heart of Sheffield.

10 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

IMG_4249.jpeg

Thor's Tipi, a new food, drink, and entertainment venue, is set to bring life to the site of the demolished Midcity House in Sheffield city centre. This temporary attraction is planned to occupy the vacant plot bordered by Pinstone Street, Furnival Gate, and Union Street, pending approval from Sheffield City Council. Previously, Thor’s Tipi was a popular destination at the Peace Gardens during the Christmas Markets.

Plans submitted by Fabler & Co. Ltd reveal a venue featuring a single-story building clad in 'scaffold board-style timber' with roll-up PVC windows. Rising above will be a tipi structure, giving the venue its distinctive look. The site will include outdoor seating arranged around planters and timber fencing. The application proposes operating hours from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., with the last entry at 10:45 p.m. The venue will close only on Christmas Day. Live music will be limited to between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.

The planning application indicates that Thor’s Tipi would facilitate food vendors on an 'ad-hoc basis' in the external area. Events will include live music, street food markets, and quizzes, designed to engage and entertain visitors. The project aims to provide a temporary but valuable use of the empty site, generating new employment opportunities and adding vibrancy to the city centre.

The proposal seeks to elevate the appearance of the cleared plot while contributing to Sheffield’s food and drink scene. With its eye-catching design and range of activities, Thor’s Tipi has the potential to enhance the city's social landscape, offering locals and visitors alike a lively and inviting space in the heart of Sheffield.

Why temporary ?

Not too sure if I'm understanding this bit, but there used to be a decent chippy in the area overhanging Pond Street/Interchange.  Can't remember what it was called (others might and respond to this), but I could pop up there, get my grub, and then see when my bus was cumming in an get it in time!

Hope this new (whatever it is) will allow for this, or better!

13 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Not too sure if I'm understanding this bit, but there used to be a decent chippy in the area overhanging Pond Street/Interchange.  Can't remember what it was called (others might and respond to this), but I could pop up there, get my grub, and then see when my bus was cumming in an get it in time!

My bold.

I didn't know busses could do that 🤣

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Wrong area — this is near Moorhead (the end building adjacent to Pinstone Street/Furnival Gate/Union Street). 👍

19 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

A clue , please . 

At one time there was a plan for Sheffields tallest building on the site.

That was scaled back to a building at three separate heights (a decent sized tower and two smaller annexes) a couple of years ago.

IMG_4251.jpegIMG_4252.jpegIMG_4253.jpegIMG_4254.jpeg

I think we’re awaiting a fresh planning application for whatever is to actually come, but the site has obviously been demolished to make way for something permanent eventually.