Lib Dem Sheffield conference 11 March to cost SY police 2M

ChrisIB

And yet, if they hadn't put the fences up and put this level of policing in place and there had have been trouble, people would be on here complaining about

Another bad decision from the Council

so Paul Scriven thinks the Liberal democrat conference will bring lots of extra revenue to the city eh!!! well i hope he comes to see business owners to explain after yesterday and today, sheffield city centre is pretty much a ghost town, well except for thousands of flourescent clothed bobbies sat around looking bored!

my business in the last two days is pretty much down 50% on normal and all the other business owners i have spoken too say the same, all of us on Leopold st , Pinstone st, Fargate and surrounding have had a lousey weekend trade , i dread to think how badly John lewis have done.

people have stayed away MR SCRIVEN!!! we didnt want this conference, THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT HAVE MADE MONEY ARE THE HOTELS, i would guess the lost high st revenue from fargate etc etc etc makes the policing cost look silly, oh the cost of that feather in your Lib dem cap:rant::rant::rant:

scriven will only tell you some rubbish like he did to pollards, the only people that will have done well is mcdonalds with all the coppers

The over policing was just a joke. Except for the joke is on us.

The problem is these councillors have probably been reading this forum and been convinced by the Daily Mail readers on here that all protestors are nasty hooligans who are hell bent on smashing windows.

There is was absolutely no hint of trouble at all despite the provocation of a large police presence. And as for the fencing!!! Ridiculous.

Another bad decision from the Council

erm, except that 'The Council' didn't actually want this fence, and is not paying directly for this fence, nor did the Lib Dems, nor anyone else, as far as I can ascertain, other than 'The Police' who as someone else remarked are getting a 'big payday' from all this extra work.

Overkill to the extreme and totally unnecessary, as we all knew it would be.

The public, that is, that elected a Lib-Dem council. Where better for the Lib-Dems to hold a conference, than in a city where they hold power?

i dont have a problem with them holding a conference, just not in the heart of the commercial district of the city, the council should have suggested far more appropriate venues suited to a conference which would not distrupt the business of the city, far easier and cheaper to police, within easy reach of supertram and hotels, the Sheffield Arena? don valley stadium, i would be interested to find out eactly how many delegates attended because as far as i could see not that many!!!

erm, except that 'The Council' didn't actually want this fence, and is not paying directly for this fence, nor did the Lib Dems, nor anyone else, as far as I can ascertain, other than 'The Police' who as someone else remarked are getting a 'big payday' from all this extra work.

Overkill to the extreme and totally unnecessary, as we all knew it would be.

Get your facts right before spouting such rubbish.

The vast majority are not getting a 'big pay day' in the slightest.

They are working a day-for-a-day as all leave had been cancelled for months. Relatively little overtime has been accrued.

Hey, but why let the truth get in the way, eh?!;)