Lib Dem Sheffield conference 11 March to cost SY police 2M

ChrisIB

Have you heard of the internet, email and blackberry? Very useful they are for communicating from anywhere in the world.

I bet the Cons have only given the joker a pager!:hihi:

Hey, if PCSOs get Blackberrys, why not the rest of the Gov's dogs? (eg. Clegg) :hihi:

Anyway. To all those saying its the protesters fault that the fee is this high, we haven't even turned up yet, we have nothing to do with pre determined costs. Clegg lied, and in his wisdom decided to hold the conference in a place full of angry citizens he lied to, thus incurring the costs himself so it's inevitable that there will be a hell of a lot of ****** off people turning up in Sheffield. So what's wrong with picking somewhere where they are actually liked by the majority? Or do BA and Virgin Atlantic not like them enough for that either?

Because they are not the ones who need police control. The people who should pay are the ones who cause the trouble, not the politicians.

OK, agreed. I'll chip in a tenner if I can egg Clegg. I understand that ten quid doesn't buy you much trouble these days.

The money isn't to police the Lib Dems, it's to police protestors. If anyone should cough up, it's the protestors.

Thankfully, the right to protest is still free. There is an assumption here that all demonstrators only attend to cause trouble. Many demonstrators have all ready coughed up to pay the bill as taxpayers.

The money isn't to police the Lib Dems, it's to police protestors. If anyone should cough up, it's the protestors.

At a time when we are all getting excited about people rising against dictators in African countries, trying to gain basic freedoms. Do you really believe we should be charging people to protest against laws that they feel are unjust?

So the police could be cut by up to 40,000, according to the news. They can't strike. Can they have an immediate overtime ban? Might help keep costs down for this weekend.

Let's be honest, if you were supposed to be keeping order, and moving in against demonstrators, who were demonstrating against those who are about to cut your job, how 'enthusiastic' are you likely to be?

Edited by Darth Vader

So the police could be cut by up to 40,000, according to the news. They can't strike. Can they have an immediate overtime ban? Might help keep costs down for this weekend.

Let's be honest, if you were supposed to be keeping order, and moving in against demonstrators, who were demonstrating against those who are about to cut your job, how 'enthusiastic' are you likely to be?

Or look at it another way: If you need to prove that cuts to your budget will be disastrous, how hard would you try to defuse potentially charged situations?

I sincerely hope that all concerned will exercise sufficient self-control to avoid damage to Sheffield.

Maybe the demonstrators will be peaceful so their fellow victims in the Police can go home early.

Me too. To be honest, I can't get my head around the thinking of hosting this in Sheffield.

If I was cynical, I'd suspect a deliberate attempt to discredit the city by presenting us as a destructive mob. That is why I'd like everyone to ignore the whole event. The place to express our displeasure is at the ballot box.