Lib Dem Sheffield conference 11 March to cost SY police 2M

ChrisIB

Surely the fact they've chosen Sheffield is because it's relatively central in the UK and the party leader's constituency is there.

Common sense surely?

I would agree with donuticus but add that perhaps another reason why Sheffield was chosen was because last February (when the decision was made to come to Sheffield) there was an expectation that the Lib Dems might have 2 Sheffield MPs and possibly because the spring conference would provide a springboard for the Lib Dems to cement their hold on Sheffield in the forthcoming local elections.

How times have changed though.

The Lib Dems failed to win a second Sheffield parliamentary seat. The recent and nearby Barnsley Central parliamentary by-election saw the Lib Dems slip from 2nd to 6th place with an almost unprecedented lost deposit.

Nick Clegg is now perceived to have sold out on his political values for the title of Deputy Prime Minister and in the process gone from being king-maker before the general election to being Cameron's tea-maker.

I think it's a great idea the conference has come to Sheffield- it will put so much back into the local economy just at the time we need it. Just think people from Rotherham Council who have had their hours cut could serve Clegg his meals in the restaurants and do a spot of washing up after.....maybe some of the police staff that are facing imminent redundancy or have already left voluntarily before pushed could turn their hands to a bit of bar work ........I'm sure I've heard somewhere that the private sector was going to create enough growth and new jobs to absorb all the public sector workers that are being given the push.

What utterly ridiculous accusations. Neither of you have any evidence to support your claims of "Labour agitators ... rioting on the doorstep" because your claims are simply false and just political smears.

No evidence of course, - you have evidence that it won't happen ?

Nick Clegg is now perceived to have sold out on his political values for the title of Deputy Prime Minister and in the process gone from being king-maker before the general election to being Cameron's tea-maker.

Political smears....political sneers; not much difference in my book, all is fair in love, war and politics. Where in your esteem would Nick Clegg be now if he had formed a coalition with the Labour party ?

Guest sibon
I think it's a great idea the conference has come to Sheffield- it will put so much back into the local economy just at the time we need it. Just think people from Rotherham Council who have had their hours cut could serve Clegg his meals in the restaurants and do a spot of washing up after.....maybe some of the police staff that are facing imminent redundancy or have already left voluntarily before pushed could turn their hands to a bit of bar work ........I'm sure I've heard somewhere that the private sector was going to create enough growth and new jobs to absorb all the public sector workers that are being given the push.

Let's just hope that it doesn't provide a stimulus for the local building trades.

..... Where in your esteem would Nick Clegg be now if he had formed a coalition with the Labour party ?

There was never going to be a Labour-Lib Dem coalition. The number of MPs required did not stack up to make it happen.

Nick Clegg made it perfectly clear before the general election that he would negotiate with whichever political party had the most numbers. That turned out to be the Conservative Party.

Nick Clegg has committed the Lib Dems to being in a coalition government for a full five years. The Lib Dems are now reaping public opprobrium for making that decision.

I suspect that many of the protestors will be made up of the same people who cheered Clegg on the Town Hall steps on the evening of election night last year.

These are the people he has betrayed with his lies.

Remember he PROMISED to oppose the rise in tuition fees, now he supports it. He promised not to increase VAT, and yet he allowed Osbourne to increase it. He repeatedly made clear that the Lib Dems would not support the cuts at the speed and depth that the Tories were proposing as it would wreck the recovery. He now supports the wholesale privatisation of the NHS, despite this not being in his manifesto, or the Tories, or even the Coalition agreement. He has stood back and said nothing while the police 'kettle' yound protestors. And now he is afraid to come into contact with the people of the city he claims to represent.

Nick Clegg has betrayed us all - rather than acting as a 'brake' on the excesses of the Tory right, he has allowed himself to become an enabler of even more grotesque ideological dismantling of our public services. By accepting the role of Deputy PM, he has waived his authority to oppose Cameron on anything other than vanity issues.

It is a disgrace that the Lib Dems are able to lock down our own city and erect concrete barriers to restrict OUR freedom to move around our city. At least it will be last one they will hold here - Clegg is finished - he has destroyed a noble party with fine tradtions. He can no longer claim to represent the people who voted for him.

I must be the only person left who has some admiration for Nick Clegg.

The country was left in an awful financial mess by a mixture of the banking crisis and Labours mis-managemment of the Economy, to get us out of that mess tough decisions need to be made by a Government with Authority.

Clegg could have joined with Labour, but quite clearly the people didn't support them at the ballot box so why should they be given another chance to make a further mess of things?

He could have left the Conservatives to go it alone, but that would have left us with a Government with little authority and no doubt a further General Election would have been required. The last thing this country needs right now is a Government with little authority and uncertainty.

His only real choice for the good of the country was to join with the Conservatives in a coalition. When you're in a partnership sometimes you have to accept decisions you don't like, that's known as compromise. The Liberals as the junior partners were always going to have to make far more compromises than the Conservatives.

For the sake of the country I think Clegg made the right choice to go into bed with the Conservatives, although as a result I think it will take his party many years to recover from this decision.

That's why Nick Clegg has gone up in my estimation......Although I wouldn't vote for his party in a General Election. :D

Regards

Doom

I must be the only person left who has some admiration for Nick Clegg.

The country was left in an awful financial mess by a mixture of the banking crisis and Labours mis-managemment of the Economy, to get us out of that mess tough decisions need to be made by a Government with Authority.

Clegg could have joined with Labour, but quite clearly the people didn't support them at the ballot box so why should they be given another chance to make a further mess of things?

He could have left the Conservatives to go it alone, but that would have left us with a Government with little authority and no doubt a further General Election would have been required. The last thing this country needs right now is a Government with little authority and uncertainty.

His only real choice for the good of the country was to join with the Conservatives in a coalition. When you're in a partnership sometimes you have to accept decisions you don't like, that's known as compromise. The Liberals as the junior partners were always going to have to make far more compromises than the Conservatives.

For the sake of the country I think Clegg made the right choice to go into bed with the Conservatives, although as a result I think it will take his party many years to recover from this decision.

That's why Nick Clegg has gone up in my estimation......Although I wouldn't vote for his party in a General Election. :D

Regards

Doom

If Clegg had got into bed with Labour,we would not have to deal with this weekends expected trouble, orchestrated from the rent a mob of workshy, education for nowt students, the usual lefties, and a whole load of public sector types that have had it off over the last decade.

Labour would have just kept the party going on borrowed money till the whole country caved in. The lad in charge of Labour has not a clue how to get us out of the mess his amateur lot got us into.No one has heard the lad utter one word that could give us hope.All you hear is the "cuts are too fast" and "what about the poor",usual pandering Labour stuff!

The party's over!.......the days of half a days work for a full wage plus bonus plus early pension have got to be over! plus the house prices need to get back to a sensible level(20% drop) before we can return to a sense of realism in this country!

He didn't have to 'get in to bed' with either of them.

The deal with Tories is wrong for his party, his voters, and the country. He has handed Cameron the chance to destroy the public sector, the welfare state, the NHS in a single parliament. In return he managed a few minor concessions, including a doomed vote on AV.