Lib Dem Sheffield conference 11 March to cost SY police 2M

ChrisIB

we need to get progressively more noticeable, progressively more outspoken, until we are heard and LISTENED to. so yes, it will help.

and yes, they do, they stretch far enough to help others and fight for others, rather than acting selfishly like yourself. this affects me less than some, but i still care.

I thought we'd all gone off the "progessive" idea ;)

Who is this "we"?

And have you tried caring without shouting? Or is that not selfless enough?

we need to get progressively more noticeable, progressively more outspoken, until we are heard and LISTENED to. so yes, it will help.

and yes, they do, they stretch far enough to help others and fight for others, rather than acting selfishly like yourself. this affects me less than some, but i still care.

If you are so public spirited why don't you stand for election in the party of your choice ?

2.5 million...just to police it.blaa 2.5 million would be well spent on repairs to our roads.or new homes for our every increasing people.or a new wing at our hospitals to treat our sick.or to modernise our homes...but just to throw it against the the wall shocking....in these goverment cuts that affect every one...shoot them and save 2.5 million

I find it very disturbing when we have to erect steel fences to protect a legitimate political party's conference.

What will be the next step and how does it reflect on democracy ?

If those who feel so strongly against the coalitions policies and want to do something positive they should stand for election and taste reality with responsibility rather than just criticise and cause unrest.

DO we have to erect these absurd fences? Or are we creating a mood where the expectation of trouble becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy?

The extremely heavy-handed policing of the G8, to the detriment of local residents, created a lot of resentment, so this event will do the Liberal Democrats no favours.

Or look at it another way: If you need to prove that cuts to your budget will be disastrous, how hard would you try to defuse potentially charged situations?

I sincerely hope that all concerned will exercise sufficient self-control to avoid damage to Sheffield.

I predict the usual rent-a-mob are going to turn up and start trouble. That combined with a lot of angry locals protesting spells possibly serious trouble. Holding it in Sheffield does not seem a particularly sensible idea, and I suspect it will seriously damage its reputation to outsiders...

WHO do we have to thank for getting the conference moved from London to Sheffield, and the associated policing costs with it? It's YOUR money! Were YOU asked? I wasn't. I would have said NO thank you.

I have to wonder if the Council didn't 'volunteer' Sheffield as a venue. It would seem pretty stupid though given the local antipathy towards Nick Clegg....or perhaps the LibDems on the Council still see him as the boy wonder.