Lib Dem Sheffield conference 11 March to cost SY police 2M

ChrisIB

Of course they were elected - in fact as between them they got 59.1% of the vote you could claim they were a lot more legitimate that the 2005 Labour government that only got 35.3% of the vote.

The tories were elected not the lib dems, there was no coalition at the time of the election. The lib dems were a pretty dismal 3rd.

It's just ridiculous hosting this conference in Sheffield. And at the City Hall too, which has the capacity for hundreds of people to gather all the way aound the outside - another mistake IMO. Whether a steel fence is put up around the edge or not, it's still going to be horrendus.

People are deluded if they think people won't protest. Every single person I know has very strong negative views about Clegg. For a start Sheffield is heavily populated with students - as if they're going to miss it - I think most might actually get out of their pit early doors for this! That's more than 5,000 people. Then there's the people who have lost their jobs or who will do - sure they'll have something to say. And then the less affluent people, struggling to cope with the VAT increase, rising fuel costs etc.

Just because it's a strongly policed event doesn't mean that it will be any less horrible. People are angry. I'm staying away from it, because I just think that people are going to get hurt and I don't want to be one of them.

Who do you think will be paying to rebuild the burned out buildings in these places?

Its not like we haven't raped them enough in the last 50 or so years for the love of oil and Israel.

Your lack of education suggests you should go back to your classroom.

The money isn't to police the Lib Dems, it's to police protestors. If anyone should cough up, it's the protestors.

They should have to pay to police their own conference then maybe they would choose to go somewhere where feelings don't run so high against them.

Is it don't let the loony left smash up our city?

If you say so.

To me, your ideas smack more of totalitarianism. Nice to see the true colours of the Nu-Libs.

so you dont think that the people who visit Sheffield and ( hopefully) get a good impression of The City and go away and tell others about Sheffield, and they then come back and visit in the future is any benefit to the long term prospects of the City then?

No I don't think they will. They will leave hotel - city hall - hotel (x2)then go home. Can't see them popping into even John Lewis as they pass as they have no reason too; all fully catered.

This is Clegg PR. Simples.

The tories were elected not the lib dems, there was no coalition at the time of the election. The lib dems were a pretty dismal 3rd.

You don't vote for a coalition you vote for parties - and a coalition forms to give a parliamentary majority following the constitutional process.