Lib Dem Sheffield conference 11 March to cost SY police 2M

ChrisIB

If I was cynical, I'd suspect a deliberate attempt to discredit the city by presenting us as a destructive mob. That is why I'd like everyone to ignore the whole event. The place to express our displeasure is at the ballot box.

I think it's the Tories digging the boot in again, it was supposed to be all organised for London and going ahead there, wasn't it. And now Sheffield (the city where Clegg has to have a decoy whilst he scurries in the back door of the town hall!) gets the pleasure of footing the 2million pound bill and dealing with the aftermath.

You don't think only Sheffielders are going to be protesting, do you? There will be people from far and wide with no allegiance to our city, I expect.

If I was cynical, I'd suspect a deliberate attempt to discredit the city by presenting us as a destructive mob. That is why I'd like everyone to ignore the whole event. The place to express our displeasure is at the ballot box.

By the time the next election comes along the NHS will have been sold off, the country will be in the hands of Big Business, and the city of Sheffield will be just another crumbling northern backwater. They are cutting so quickly and so severely that the damage they do will be irreversible. Forget the ballot box, the time for action is now, and if that means one or two laws get broken...

So be it.

You don't think only Sheffielders are going to be protesting, do you? There will be people from far and wide with no allegiance to our city, I expect.

Then let the arrest records show that it's not people from Sheffield.

Since the Iraq demonstrations, does anybody really still believe that numbers on the street make a blind bit of difference?

I resent the way Sheffield is being set up, and I very much hope that we can confound the expectations of people who know and care nothing about this city and are trying to manipulate us for their own ends.

What do you think will look worse for the Liberal Democrats - the usual scenes of an angry crowd that will inevitably be dismissed as a "rent-a-mob", or a City quietly ignoring them and going about its business?

Edited by Womerry2

By the time the next election comes along the NHS will have been sold off, the country will be in the hands of Big Business, and the city of Sheffield will be just another crumbling northern backwater. They are cutting so quickly and so severely that the damage they do will be irreversible. Forget the ballot box, the time for action is now, and if that means one or two laws get broken...

So be it.

The next election is in May. And I'd rather be a "backwater" than a bomb site. Your "action" is unlikely to achieve anything other than handing the moral high ground to people who really do not deserve it.

The next election is in May. And I'd rather be a "backwater" than a bomb site. Your "action" is unlikely to achieve anything other than handing the moral high ground to people who really do not deserve it.

Inaction isnt an option anymore.

Edited by green
mis read....

does anyone have any details as to the time of the protests because I am worried about trying to get home from the city friday night...?

what times and what's your usual route? public transport?

Everyone else, those of you that actually care and are willing to get involved to make a difference and improve your country, I suggest we let them into the city hall, but create an unbreakable ring around it and force them to stay in there. occupation of the fences anyone?

i was about to write about my perimiter observations yesterday, but decided against it. get in touch if you want me to pm the paragraphs, i copied it before i deleted it.

Everyone else, those of you that actually care and are willing to get involved to make a difference and improve your country, I suggest we let them into the city hall, but create an unbreakable ring around it and force them to stay in there. occupation of the fences anyone?

How, exactly, will that make a difference and improve our country?

Do your perimeter observation stretch beyond the end of your own nose?

How, exactly, will that make a difference and improve our country?

Do your perimeter observation stretch beyond the end of your own nose?

we need to get progressively more noticeable, progressively more outspoken, until we are heard and LISTENED to. so yes, it will help.

and yes, they do, they stretch far enough to help others and fight for others, rather than acting selfishly like yourself. this affects me less than some, but i still care.