Diabetes Is Linked To Alzheimer's Disease

Studies have shown that type 2 diabetes can be a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease, vascular dementia and other types of dementia.

Doctors don’t yet understand exactly how cognitive decline and diabetes are
connected, but they do know that high blood sugar or insulin can harm the brain in
several ways:
Diabetes raises the risk of heart disease and stroke, which hurt the heart and
blood vessels. Damaged blood vessels in the brain may contribute to cognitive
decline.
The brain depends on many different chemicals, which may be unbalanced by
too much insulin. Some of these changes may help trigger cognitive decline.
High blood sugar causes inflammation. This may damage brain cells and
cause dementia to develop.
Most people with diabetes have Type 2, which is linked to lack of exercise and being
overweight. When diabetes is not controlled, too much sugar remains in the blood.
Over time, this can damage organs, including the brain. Scientists are finding more
evidence that could link Type 2 diabetes with Alzheimer’s disease, the most common
cause of dementia. Several research studies following large groups over many years
suggest that adults with Type 2 diabetes have a higher risk of developing
Alzheimer’s.

The cause of both of these, SUGAR!

13 hours ago, El Cid said:

Studies have shown that type 2 diabetes can be a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease, vascular dementia and other types of dementia.

Doctors don’t yet understand exactly how cognitive decline and diabetes are
connected, but they do know that high blood sugar or insulin can harm the brain in
several ways:
Diabetes raises the risk of heart disease and stroke, which hurt the heart and
blood vessels. Damaged blood vessels in the brain may contribute to cognitive
decline.
The brain depends on many different chemicals, which may be unbalanced by
too much insulin. Some of these changes may help trigger cognitive decline.
High blood sugar causes inflammation. This may damage brain cells and
cause dementia to develop.
Most people with diabetes have Type 2, which is linked to lack of exercise and being
overweight. When diabetes is not controlled, too much sugar remains in the blood.
Over time, this can damage organs, including the brain. Scientists are finding more
evidence that could link Type 2 diabetes with Alzheimer’s disease, the most common
cause of dementia. Several research studies following large groups over many years
suggest that adults with Type 2 diabetes have a higher risk of developing
Alzheimer’s.

The cause of both of these, SUGAR!

Far too simplistic.

There are numerous contributory factors that result in Type II  Diabetes, 'sugar' in the diet is only one, but a major outcome is the damage caused by the inability to control blood sugar levels.

There has been evidence for decades that sugary diets(indicator of a wide range of lifestyle influences) can lead to stokes which in turn lead to dementia. 

Even before 2017  some scientists have referred to Alzheimer's(not dementia) as Type III Diabetes as the formation of certain chemicals in the brain are observed progressing in both. 

The latest studies link Alzheimer's with insulin and diabetes in younger age groups which potentially reveal/have the potential for understanding pathway(s) that underpin AD progression.

It is also well known that shouting out partial truths associating consumption/diet and ill health, is not always the best way to encourage healthier choices.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

"...

There are numerous contributory factors that result in Type II  Diabetes, 'sugar' in the diet is only one, but a major outcome is the damage caused by the inability to control blood sugar levels.

Forgot to add  that "...blood sugar levels..." are not dependent  on glucose sugar intake alone- a common myth repeated in the media, Simply -all carbohydrates like starch. complex sugars like fructose (and natural glucose) are converted or  stored. The process to supply the simplest soluble sugar (glucose) to all the cells of  on demand and on time and in the right amount is automatic,  In some people the 'automatic' system does not work  from the start or over time and the body is slow or cannot recognise its blood sugar levels.

For those not yet having problems,, soup and bread or a Yorkshire Pudding as a starter will immediately raise the blood sugar levels -leading to  feeling less hungry when it comes to mains.

13 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Far too simplistic.

Nice to have more details, but social media is often simplistic.

I would say that sugar is the main culprit in the issues listed below.

The main causes of type 2 diabetes are:

Living with obesity or overweight.  
    Your waist measurement is unhealthy for your gender or ethnicity  
    Too much fat stored in or around your liver and pancreas – which can affect people of a healthy weight as well as people living with obesity or overweight.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics/types-of-diabetes/type-2/causes

12 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Nice to have more details, but social media is often simplistic.

I would say that sugar is the main culprit in the issues listed below.

The main causes of type 2 diabetes are:

Living with obesity or overweight.  
    Your waist measurement is unhealthy for your gender or ethnicity  
    Too much fat stored in or around your liver and pancreas – which can affect people of a healthy weight as well as people living with obesity or overweight.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics/types-of-diabetes/type-2/causes

There seems to be a move to blame people's lifestyles etc for illness, and therefore they 'have only themselves to blame.' and are undeserving of sympathy and more importantly, treatment. 

However this is not only an unpleasant reaction, but is also far from the truth.

Researchers have discovered an inherited gene that is 95% certain to result in Alzheimer's. The gene is APOE4 of which there are 3 variants. Everyone carries the APOE gene, but if they inherit one of the variants from  both parents they are in a very desperate position. 2% of the population are thought to carry the two genes.

Knowing this, researchers are looking into finding ways to treat the carriers of the gene variants. 

Sant Pau institute of Medical research

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

There seems to be a move to blame people's lifestyles etc for illness, and therefore they 'have only themselves to blame.' and are undeserving of sympathy and more importantly, treatment. 

However this is not only an unpleasant reaction, but is also far from the truth.

I would not say that, because its also about processed food and added sugar. I have even given up fruit juice, because its just processed fruit. We need to get back to more natural unprocessed food.

Added sugar in beans, even tins of fruit often comes in sweetened water.

17 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I would not say that, because its also about processed food and added sugar. I have even given up fruit juice, because its just processed fruit. We need to get back to more natural unprocessed food.

Added sugar in beans, even tins of fruit often comes in sweetened water.

I agree, but it's almost impossible to avoid sugars and other dubious ingrediants in most shop bought products. Yes, we should all be cooking from scratch, but what with working etc who has time these days? Or, even the ability?

Unless organic, most fresh fruit and vegetables also have chemicals used in the growing process, so it's very hard to avoid. 

Yes cutting sugar may help. But the truth is we are living longer than our bodies are designed for. Both my grandmother's lived to a good age yes but both  had Dementia one been 87 years old the other 92 years old both needed 24 hour care in their final years. 

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

I agree, but it's almost impossible to avoid sugars and other dubious ingrediants in most shop bought products. Yes, we should all be cooking from scratch, but what with working etc who has time these days? Or, even the ability?

I have just had a pint Black Sheep and spicy chicken with salad for my tea, from Wetherspoons 

On 08/05/2024 at 18:19, GabrielC said:

Yes cutting sugar may help. But the truth is we are living longer than our bodies are designed for. Both my grandmother's lived to a good age yes but both  had Dementia one been 87 years old the other 92 years old both needed 24 hour care in their final years. 

Yet my relative is 98 years old and still as sharp as a tack. He works his computer better than I do, and has only just given up driving, a thing he loves, (and never had an accident) because of the exhorbitant price of insurance. 

He's says he's done nothing unusual to prolong his llife, except he gave up smoking in his thirties and doesn't drink much. He's always maintained his curiosity and interest in the world, and still reads extensively. He thinks it's all down to genetics and luck.