Hospice Care In Danger Of Collapse Due To Rising Costs

Over the years I have done fund raising for my local hospice due to that I get there newsletter regularly.

Recently I had a letter that was concerning . The hospice has had to close six beds due to rising costs of utility bills and staff the impact of this has meant people having to stay in hospital longer due to lack of beds in the hospice. The hospice also provides home care this too has been impacted due to costs. 

Most hospices get some NHS funding but this does not cover the all costs so are left with large shortfalls with the ongoing cost of living crisis has meant donations have dropped making the shortfall much harder to cover. I suspect all hospice are having the same problem.  My family has in the past used my local hospice the care provided and support was first class to lose this will have a huge impact on the community and many will struggle to care for loved ones in their final months. 

I have written to my MP about my concerns but not expecting much out of it if nothing is done hospice care could disappear.

• Sad 1

That's terrible that hospices don't get much.

I am aware that assisted dying is on the agenda, and many MPs have spoken out about their concerns. Now that's fine to have concerns, however if the infrastructure isn't there to support people who are passing on, then surely this will impact any future decision they may have

Posted (edited)

Thankyou GabrielC for all you do. 

Hospices are amazing places, do great work and are much needed.

Unfortunately we have a government who knows the cost of everything, but the value of nothing, therefore sufficient funds are not forthcoming. 

It's the same with many things these days. Cuts, cuts and more cuts have decimated many services because 'we can't afford it.' Of course we can afford whatever they prioritise.

They could try collecting all the tax owed by the big Corporations and the Mega wealthy. 

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 2

Unfortunately there's a huge need for carers and for nurses, finding and keeping good staff is very hard.

I won't mention the 'B' word, but there's clearly issues recruiting local folk to do some of these roles.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Unfortunately we have a government who knows the cost of everything, but the value of nothing, therefore sufficient funds are not forthcoming. 

It's the same with many things these days. Cuts, cuts and more cuts have decimated many services because 'we can't afford it.' Of course we can afford whatever they prioritise.

They could try collecting all the tax owed by the big Corporations and the Mega wealthy. 

Oh yes, how original. Makes you wonder why nobody has thought of that before. It's all so simple....

The rich and the corporations do pay their tax. How many more times have I got to say this. They pay what the law states they have to pay. Just like anyone else they are not going to be morally blackmailed into voluntarily paying more than they have to. It's business.

As per usual, you'll jump to the simplistic "tax-rich arguement".  But how about some other factors like the NHS stopping their mass waste every year on 1001 quangos and pen pushers and auxiliary services that it shouldn't be dealing with.  How about they kerb the unions and stop these ridiculous stoppages and strikes and inflation busting unreasonable paid demands that come along seemingly bi-annually.  How about charging patients for malingering or self-inflicted injuries or failing to follow advice or abusing the system or time wasting using up precious resources that could be better spent on other things.....

Let's start with a bit of that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Thanks Ann.  Very true if we collected the tax better and spread the wealth better there would be no need for donations. 

These tyes of organisations do some self funding, by having events.

I know of an hospice that has a 10k road race, or at least its in aid of the hospice.

8 minutes ago, GabrielC said:

Thanks Ann.  Very true if we collected the tax better and spread the wealth better there would be no need for donations. 

Yes it's all a wonderful theory but just how exactly do you "spread the wealth".

Say if my corporation earned a million pounds and the law said I was compelled to pay 20% taxes on that. How exactly are you going to force me to "spread out" or "give away" or "share" some of that 80% remainder. It's mine.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Oh yes, how original. Makes you wonder why nobody has thought of that before. It's all so simple....

The rich and the corporations do pay their tax. How many more times have I got to say this. They pay what the law states they have to pay. Just like anyone else they are not going to be morally blackmailed into voluntarily paying more than they have to. It's business.

As per usual, you'll jump to the simplistic "tax-rich arguement".  But how about some other factors like the NHS stopping their mass waste every year on 1001 quangos and pen pushers and auxiliary services that it shouldn't be dealing with.  How about they kerb the unions and stop these ridiculous stoppages and strikes and inflation busting unreasonable paid demands that come along seemingly bi-annually.  How about charging patients for malingering or self-inflicted injuries or failing to follow advice or abusing the system or time wasting using up precious resources that could be better spent on other things.....

Let's start with a bit of that.

Hang on Mr Nood.   Amazon don't pay there full tax bill along with other online companies money that could be used for hospice care for example. The NHS don't have the luxury to waste money because they are underfunded only right wingers like yourself like to tell people the money is been wasted because for whatever reason you don't believe in a state health funded service. People strike not because they want too they will lose money by striking remember it's down to having no choice. The Unions are there to protect they  workers from been exploited. Lastly what about some ideas on fund raising ?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, geared said:

Unfortunately there's a huge need for carers and for nurses, finding and keeping good staff is very hard.

I won't mention the 'B' word, but there's clearly issues recruiting local folk to do some of these roles.

Yes that had its impact on carers.