Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

23 minutes ago, Longcol said:

How can a Local Authority issue a legally binding statement (if there is such an animal outside cobtract law) - especially if Central Government can pass legislation to the contrary?

That doesn't alter the fact that no one can trust SCC or the government.

Both have shown themselves to be worthy of dictatorship in the past.

Thereby lies the crux of the whole problem.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Litotes said:

Just compounding the lies that we have seen from the SCC over the years.  I wonder if they would issue a legally binding statement that they won't roll this out to private cars?

After all, there should be no risk in doing so...

Perhaps Planner1 could confirm there should be no reason for them not to...

Realistically I would not expect any politician to make a statement that they will never roll it out to private cars.

They could be instructed to by the government or be obliged to if the current CAZ restrictions don’t produce compliance.

People would then point out that they previously stated they wouldn’t do it and they’d look bad.

Politicians will never state outright that they won’t do something that they think there is even the remotest chance that they might have to do.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sheffbag said:

Scc have said all along that they won’t impose a caz D including cars yet the business case states

’there may be a requirement during the lifetime of the caz to move to a different level of caz in order to ensure compliance on NOx………this Caz D is optional and triggered at the discretion of scc’

lotto numbers are random, this is defined . Why not go and ask the scc committee chair as she’s good at getting things wrong

I think you should look carefully at exactly what the council have said. They say they have no intention to impose charges on cars, but of course they might be compelled to if the government mandated them to or the current restrictions don’t deliver compliance.

Thats why I’d be greatly surprised if they ever categorically stated that they will never charge cars.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

That doesn't alter the fact that no one can trust SCC or the government.

Both have shown themselves to be worthy of dictatorship in the past.

Thereby lies the crux of the whole problem.

No council or government is going to be able to please all the people all the time.

Whats the alternative?

• Like 1

If it gets a few cars off the road maybe it's a good thing? 

I can't be the only person who hates getting stuck in traffic jams 

A recent study found that the higher the charges are, the more effective the charging zones are. 

A study found that if you charge £5 per day this will remove 2% of cars from the road, if you charge £250 per day this would remove 95% of cars from the road

So it seems the higher the charges the more people start considering the impact of their actions on the environment and instead walk or cycle

If 95% of car owners stop using their cars then I won't get stuck in traffic jams 

Just now, rogets said:

A recent study found that the higher the charges are, the more effective the charging zones are. 

A study found that if you charge £5 per day this will remove 2% of cars from the road, if you charge £250 per day this would remove 95% of cars from the road

So it seems the higher the charges the more people start considering the impact of their actions on the environment and instead walk or cycle

If 95% of car owners stop using their cars then I won't get stuck in traffic jams 

I assume you won't be one of that 95%? Thought not, you are too important. 🤣

1 hour ago, rogets said:

But you'd get clobbered by the £1,000 per day troll tax.

6 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Realistically I would not expect any politician to make a statement that they will never roll it out to private cars.

They could be instructed to by the government or be obliged to if the current CAZ restrictions don’t produce compliance.

People would then point out that they previously stated they wouldn’t do it and they’d look bad.

Politicians will never state outright that they won’t do something that they think there is even the remotest chance that they might have to do.

Nick Clegg and his pledges?