Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

6 hours ago, Planner1 said:

I think you should look carefully at exactly what the council have said. They say they have no intention to impose charges on cars, but of course they might be compelled to if the government mandated them to or the current restrictions don’t deliver compliance.

Thats why I’d be greatly surprised if they ever categorically stated that they will never charge cars.

they have never said that. My quote is directly from the business case and states that it is at SCC's discretion. Iqbal and Fox have both been on radio sheffield and said that Cars will not be ever in the CAZ

There is no prospect now of charging cars under the CAZ. - Douglas Johnson when the CAZ was launched and on his website

14 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Realistically I would not expect any politician to make a statement that they will never roll it out to private cars.

The wording is we do not have any plans to roll it out to private cars or something similar 

13 hours ago, rogets said:

A recent study found that the higher the charges are, the more effective the charging zones are. 

A study found that if you charge £5 per day this will remove 2% of cars from the road, if you charge £250 per day this would remove 95% of cars from the road

So it seems the higher the charges the more people start considering the impact of their actions on the environment and instead walk or cycle

If 95% of car owners stop using their cars then I won't get stuck in traffic jams 

Well blow me down with a feather a statement of the blindingly obvious BUT I wonder if the study gave consideration to the effect on driving IF and it’s a big IF public transport was drastically improved. Anyway the idea that as many as 5% of car users would pay £250 a day rather undermines the credibility of the survey 

also I doubt they have thought about people making extra journeys to out of town retailers 

18 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Which isn’t a categoric we will never do it.

Exactly that’s the point. They can be discussing introducing the charge to cars but because they have not made the final decision then they have no plans to introduce it

this is just one of many phrases in the political handbook of how to avoid telling the truth 

1 hour ago, BigAl1 said:

Exactly that’s the point. They can be discussing introducing the charge to cars but because they have not made the final decision then they have no plans to introduce it

this is just one of many phrases in the political handbook of how to avoid telling the truth 

The point is that whatever they say, you’ll criticise them

They can’t win.

10 hours ago, Planner1 said:

The point is that whatever they say, you’ll criticise them

They can’t win.

Translation....

"The point is that whatever we say, you’ll criticise us

We can’t win."

11 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

No just can't trust anything that comes out of their corrupt mouths 

Very well said 👏👏👏