Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

16 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

or just said no like Leeds and Nottingham

or said no to charging like Liverpool and Manchester

It all has to be justified to and be approved by the government. It isn’t just a case of the council deciding what they want to do.

SCC’s committee chair said on air that they had asked the government and they said no.

26 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Maybe they should inform the Train operators that they need to clean their act up. I bet an authority with a spine could do it.

Do enlighten us on how you think a local council can exert any influence on emissions standards for trains, which are regulated by the government. 

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

SCC’s committee chair said on air that they had asked the government and they said no. (1)

Do enlighten us on how you think a local council can exert any influence on emissions standards for trains, which are regulated by the government. (2)

(1) Or so said committee chair claimed.

(2) So motorists - of any variety (temporarily excluding private cars) have to pay for  something they have zero control over.

4 hours ago, Anna B said:

I'm old enough to remember Sheffield in the past when the steel works etc were a fact of life. The buildings were black with soot and grime (and let's not forget they were relatively new at the time,) and we suffered smogs often. My mum couldn't hang the washing out on certain days because it would come in covered in smuts. COPD and other respiratory illnesses were common, especially amongst steel and factory workers.

We moved on, and cleaned up. It's not long since we were proclaiming we had the cleanest air in England.

I'm all for clean air, but is the situation really so bad now that everyone has to be so inconvenienced? It's nothing like it used to be. The whole purpose of the ring road was that it would make travel better for everyone, not worse.  

Exactly,I agree with everything you have said

6 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

(2) So motorists - of any variety (temporarily excluding private cars) have to pay for  something they have zero control over.

don't they do that already? with VED/Road Tax and fuel duties etc? - you have more control over paying (or not) for the CAZ than those, you can choose to go an alternative way, and not pay, or you can get a newer vehicle and not pay, there is choice, and they have (some) control over it..

4 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

don't they do that already? with VED/Road Tax and fuel duties etc? - you have more control over paying (or not) for the CAZ than those, you can choose to go an alternative way, and not pay, or you can get a newer vehicle and not pay, there is choice, and they have (some) control over it..

What about when the caz is extended?

What about when All vehicles no matter how compliant they are are included?

That's the way I believe it will go. 

7 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

They certainly do, and accept that  - always have done. This however (and I am not a vehicle owner) is a different situation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

maybe, maybe not - but at the moment, my point remains and is valid...

VED/Road tax will likely be changed once everything is Electric, and the CAZ/pollution stuff won't be as much of an issue - sure there will still be older petrol cars around for a while (as there are pre-Euro6 vehicles and older atm) - but as more go electric, it will become less of a problem :)

Just now, Ghozer said:

maybe, maybe not - but at the moment, my point remains and is valid...

VED/Road tax will likely be changed once everything is Electric, and the CAZ/pollution stuff won't be as much of an issue - sure there will still be older petrol cars around for a while (as there are pre-Euro6 vehicles and older atm) - but as more go electric, it will become less of a problem :)

My bold

At that point I think the government may introduce Road Pricing. Everyone will pay by the mile which may sound good.

Except as we now see Sheffield and other councils are making moving around more difficult, restrictions, one way systems, banning cars from certain routes. A mile journey now might take 2, 3 or 4 miles in the not to distant future. 

8 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Can you give us all a clue as to when this will happen please?  Or..is just your personal thoughts or wishes. Just asking!