Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

6 minutes ago, Meltman said:

I could assume something like that also..

but asked if anyone on here actually knows how it works. For example...are all car registration plates checked to see how that vehicle is registered

They would have to be, you cant tell just by looking at a plate alone if its a taxi or a car.

9 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

They would have to be, you cant tell just by looking at a plate alone if its a taxi or a car.

Exactly, that's the point I was trying to make I suppose. I guess 'the system ' could also tell if a vehicle is not taxed not MOT'd etc if required. 

5 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Exactly, that's the point I was trying to make I suppose. I guess 'the system ' could also tell if a vehicle is not taxed not MOT'd etc if required. 

Probably not, the request to the DVLA will be "does this vehicle need to be charged under the terms of a category C (think thats the term?) CAZ"?

It wont be bothered with lack of VED, MOT and/or insurance, thats still a job for the feds.

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Probably not, the request to the DVLA will be "does this vehicle need to be charged under the terms of a category C (think thats the term?) CAZ"?

It wont be bothered with lack of VED, MOT and/or insurance, thats still a job for the feds.

Ok, I understand.  But is the DVLA system going to be able to cope with that question about every vehicle that enters the zone, every day and from every CAZ in the country. That must be many thousands of vehicles per hour/per day?

1 hour ago, mike1961 said:

Another point I feel is worth mentioning is ,if the air quality just about scrapes through as good then as people naturally replace their vehicles over time to more environmentally friendly ones then won't the air quality just naturally improve anyway without the need for this stupid Caz Zone ,which we all know is about making money and nothing to do with cleaning the air .

There was an article the other day about how the now defunct cameras in Manchester have been helping out the police as ANPR cameras, but the crux of the article was "that no public consultation was required as to the future use of the cameras once the funding to install them was aquired"
Meaning that once they are installed, whether the scheme is still active or not they've basically got free reign of what to use the cameras for.
More surveillance by stealth

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, soopah said:

There was an article the other day about how the now defunct cameras in Manchester have been helping out the police as ANPR cameras, but the crux of the article was "that no public consultation was required as to the future use of the cameras once the funding to install them was aquired"
Meaning that once they are installed, whether the scheme is still active or not they've basically got free reign of what to use the cameras for.
More surveillance by stealth

Very probably. 

These cameras will also come in very 'useful' when we end up with road pricing. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Ok, I understand.  But is the DVLA system going to be able to cope with that question about every vehicle that enters the zone, every day and from every CAZ in the country. That must be many thousands of vehicles per hour/per day?

Must be something that is automated I would have thought.

• Like 1

Mike, someone has to start, otherwise we're all screwed. Any reduction of CO2 will at least lessen the effects of heating above the 1.5C average. Mitigation is what it's about, because there's some seriously bad things coming our way now whatever we do. 

4 hours ago, mike1961 said:

Another point I feel is worth mentioning is ,if the air quality just about scrapes through as good then as people naturally replace their vehicles over time to more environmentally friendly ones then won't the air quality just naturally improve anyway without the need for this stupid Caz Zone ,which we all know is about making money and nothing to do with cleaning the air .

It’s nothing to do with making money.

It’s pretty obvious that the government were minded that as you say, improvements in vehicle emissions would eventually bring air quality within legal limits. 

However, government were taken to court by environmental activists and the courts instructed the government to rectify the problem as quickly as possible. 

That’s why CAZ’s are being introduced. 

The charging is a way of encouraging vehicle owners to upgrade to cleaner ones, that’s all. 

• Like 1