Sheffield Congestion Charge From Feb 27th 2023

Chekhov

10 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Pay the daily tenner on time (within a week) and its £70. Are you forgetting this too?

If you leave it over a week for it to multiply by six, then thats your stupid decision.

Excuse me I have never called you stupid and believe me I am far from stupid ,if I was stupid I would think this chargeable CAZ Zone was a good idea and it wasn't a money making scheme ,Stupid I am not .

Just now, mike1961 said:

Excuse me I have never called you stupid and believe me I am far from stupid ,if I was stupid I would think this chargeable CAZ Zone was a good idea and it wasn't a money making scheme ,Stupid I am not .

OK, so answer why you would let it escalate to £60 if you could pay a tenner?  No sensible person would unless they were planning on "sticking it to the man" and doing it out of principle.

47 minutes ago, mike1961 said:

Excuse me the fines are ridiculous,£60.00 if paid within 14 days ,when we deliver in the city centre 7 days a week that's £420.00 , absolutely disgusting,the idiots that have imposed this on us have no sense of reality and need to try working for themselves to earn a living rather than being paid from public funds.

Perhaps you should try understanding how the scheme works before spouting such drivel.

39 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Do these fines clean the air?

The fines remind people to pay the charge.

The charges help to influence people to upgrade to a lower emissions rated vehicle.

So, you could argue that they do.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2023 at 09:42, ads36 said:

it doesn't.

it just about scrapes under the very 'generous' limits.

Go check the stats before spouting rubbish please. the "Generous" limits for the CAZ's around the country was set by the courts following legal action and is following advice from the World Health Organisation.

If you actually look at sheffield stats you will find that they are all below the legal limits bar Sheaf St and Arundal Gate area. Places like Fargate are half the limit and the average over the whole CAZ is around 33 

So no, it doesnt "just about scrape" the legal imit. 

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

The government set the laws, but the courts enforce them.

It can’t be denied that the air quality is in breach of legal limits, so you can’t blame people for not being happy about it and wanting redress in court.

The courts can enforce the law by imposing very large fines ( many millions). The government have sidestepped this now by passing a law allowing them to passport any fines received directly to any local authority where exceedences of legal limits have brought on the fines.

The fines for not paying a CAZ fee aren’t that big, £60 if paid within 14 days. You can always argue for more grants for upgrades no matter how much the government gave.

Not in Sheffield its not. Used to be when first legislated, isnt now. To use your language, that cant be denied. 

So you cant blame people for not being happy about it when they are been charged to drive in clean air

Especially when Liverpool and Manchester are not going to charge for their schemes

So Porsche, in development with scientists, have developed machinery that LITERALLY cleans air, removing carbon and other particulates. 

It was designed and built primarily to remove carbon to be used in their efuel, a carbon-neutral fuel that can be used in both current petrol AND diesel engines with zero modification, meaning that there's no need to damage the environment mass mining for precious, finite metals such as Lithium because we don't need to scrap current cars/vans/trucks for battery-powered cars. 

@Planner1Will SCC be using the CAZ money to purchase any for Sheffield ?  Afterall, I'm  told that any raised cash MUST be spent on clean air & well this is ultimately the only current available method....

1 hour ago, mike1961 said:

The guy should be prime minister he would sort any problem in a day 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Go check the stats before spouting rubbish please. the "Generous" limits for the CAZ's around the country was set by the courts following legal action and is following advice from the World Health Organisation.

If you actually look at sheffield stats you will find that they are all below the legal limits bar Sheaf St and Arundal Gate area. Places like Fargate are half the limit and the average over the whole CAZ is around 33 

So no, it doesnt "just about scrape" the legal imit. 

in 2021, the World Health Organisation reduced their limit for NO2 from 40 (set in 2005) to 10. So every (?) location in Sheffield is above the new limit.

etc.

Edited by ads36

46 minutes ago, Resident said:

So Porsche, in development with scientists, have developed machinery that LITERALLY cleans air, removing carbon and other particulates. 

It was designed and built primarily to remove carbon to be used in their efuel, a carbon-neutral fuel that can be used in both current petrol AND diesel engines with zero modification, meaning that there's no need to damage the environment mass mining for precious, finite metals such as Lithium because we don't need to scrap current cars/vans/trucks for battery-powered cars. 

@Planner1Will SCC be using the CAZ money to purchase any for Sheffield ?  Afterall, I'm  told that any raised cash MUST be spent on clean air & well this is ultimately the only current available method....

You mean this experimental fuel plant they set up in Chile, which has only been open a few months?

Its been set up there for a reason, to take advantage of the particular wind characteristics of the region.

Maybe see if it works and assess whether the technology can be rolled out more widely before thinking about having one here eh?

The remit for spending surplus CAZ income is fairly wide as I understand it. Anything that contributes to achieving the policy objectives or something similar from memory, so they won’t be short of alternatives to spend it on.

If you have specific questions, best address them direct to SCC. I don’t work for them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ads36 said:

in 2021, the World Health Organisation reduced their limit for NO2 from 40 (set in 2005) to 10. So every (?) location in Sheffield is above the new limit.

etc.

40 is the legal limit so everywhere in the CAZ is under it bar the 2 places outlined

you will not find a town in the UK then is under 10. Even places out in the country have results over ten or up in the highlands

etc

3 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

The remit for spending surplus CAZ income is fairly wide as I understand it. Anything that contributes to achieving the policy objectives or something similar from memory, so they won’t be short of alternatives to spend it on.

If you have specific questions, best address them direct to SCC. I don’t work for them.

Why do people talk about "surplus CAZ cash". £2 from every charge goes to the running of the scheme the other £8 / £42 comes back to SCC via the central govt pay system.

And you are right, the wording is "any project that directly, or indirectly, helps achieve the outcomes of the scheme"

So, as said before, the money from the CAZ could be used for literally anything provided someone writes a clause in the outcomes saying it will benefit clean air in Sheffield centre. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ads36 said:

etc.

How bloody convenient, bit strange that many others have pointed out that Sheffield air quality is generally good so why the need for the CAZ Charging Zone and your the only person who has said in all the information I have read that the WHO changed the legal limits for N02 in 2021.