Margaret Thatcher Thread - Read the first post before posting

I lived in Essex all my life and made money on my house sales and enjoyed full employment. I relocated up to Sheffield some 7 years ago. I love the region and most people as so warm and friendly. Much nicer than London. But I travel and I look and I observe. I am shocked to find levels of poverty and crime that you just don't have in the South. Proud former pit villagers now full of teenage mums, drugs and crime and unemployed youths. Without doubt Thatcher started this decline when she decided to break Sheffield and Northern England. This is a country of two halves. The rich South and the poor North. End of. How any Sheffielder's can have any sympathy for her passing is beyond me. Even her son is an arms dealer ! And the reason we went to The Falklands is because the South Pole is full of oil, she knew this and her husband was a director of a massive oil company !. The sad thing is if she was brought back to life and stood as PM then a lot of working class people in this area would still vote for her ! Amazing ! :huh:

Not her fault that individual couldn't control the own debts.

I imagine they could have been modernised if the workers and unions had the foresight to work with her instead of against her.

I think the North Koreans would be happy to be given the freedom to choose their own destinies, if they went on to kill each other it wouldn’t be the fault of the person that gave them that freedom.

Actually that made owning a house more affordable and allowed workers that would never have bought an house to own one, she can’t be held responsible for the easy credit, population expansion, buy to let investors, demolition of council housing, lack of house building, that followed under labour. Clearly housing would still be affordable if labour hadn’t encouraged 3,000,000 people to settle here, if they hadn’t demolished thousands of houses, if they hadn’t removed housing from the inflation figures, if they hadn’t lowered interests rates, or if they had build houses to accommodated the population expansion they encouraged, you are just using Thatcher as a scapegoat for labours economic incompetence..

Over population and climate change, not really Thatcher’s fault.

Still can't blame her for their incompetence.

So you think the personal debt problem is purely down to people lacking personal control? It's not that simple unfortunately.

She didn't want to work with the unions. She wanted to destroy them.

Got nothing to do with North Korea.

In the short-term housing was more affordable but it was a one-off hit. It can't be repeated now. The long-term result coupled with ongoing incompetence by all governments since the 80s is a crisis where houses are unaffordable, in short supply, becoming concentrated into the hands of landlords, where waiting lists are growing, where home ownership levels are falling, where people have to save for years for a deposit and have to wait till their 30s to get on the housing ladder. It's a mess.

You can't blame climate change for decades of privatised utilities failing to invest in even basic existing infrastructure.

Thatcher left us a selfish individualistic country where society is fragmented, and the economy is broken.

Not by the person who'd be buying the house though.

If the principal is that a tenant should have a right to buy a property at a discount after they've paid so much renting it why would it matter who the landlord was? Limiting it to council properties only means it's the state subsidising people buying properties.

Those receiving housing benefit?

The age of the house no matter who lived in it identified how much rent has been paid for it over the years and how the constructions costs etc have been repaid.

If you disagree with subsidies do you want housing benefits to be scrapped ?

State ownership and private ownership are completely different matters.

Why hasn't any government, Conservative or Labour when in power, since right to buy was introduced had large house building agendas ?

I lived in Essex all my life and made money on my house sales and enjoyed full employment. I relocated up to Sheffield some 7 years ago. I love the region and most people as so warm and friendly. Much nicer than London. But I travel and I look and I observe. I am shocked to find levels of poverty and crime that you just don't have in the South. Proud former pit villagers now full of teenage mums, drugs and crime and unemployed youths. Without doubt Thatcher started this decline when she decided to break Sheffield and Northern England. This is a country of two halves. The rich South and the poor North. End of. How any Sheffielder's can have any sympathy for her passing is beyond me. Even her son is an arms dealer ! And the reason we went to The Falklands is because the South Pole is full of oil, she knew this and her husband was a director of a massive oil company !. The sad thing is if she was brought back to life and stood as PM then a lot of working class people in this area would still vote for her ! Amazing ! :huh:
Well put, a true post, some of the working class of today would vote because they weren't around when she was causing devastation to this city and have no recollection or experience as to what poverty she caused, I once saw two blokes fighting in our local jobcentre over the only job card on the wall rack, now Cameron is causing the same devastation and poverty, because they are of the same breed, Conservatives, no good for the working man and never will be the rich are getting richer again and the poor are getting poorer, get em out. :rant:

"We're all Thatcherites now"

This is the debate we need to have, about the legacy. And about where we go next.

There is such a thing as society. We need to create a fair one, that makes it safer for all. The rich want to be safe in their houses, and when they walk the street. Its not just the poor that are crying out for better Government.

Gambling, alcohol and drugs, all our lives would be better off without these. Tax them where ever posible, instead of letting them have off-shore tax haven. There is also a problem with treatment. Healthy food, make good local food easier, dont make a system where food is shipped to the other side of the world and back, before it gets eaten. Advertising needs to be regulated, we need to lower the demand for these things.

There is such a thing as society. We need to create a good one.

According to the socal media a number of ex pit villages are hiring coaches to take them to London for her funeral.

One of our admin team is going down by public transport.

Out of interest anyone else going from Sheffield / South Yorkshire to pay their respects / dis-respects ?

So you think the personal debt problem is purely down to people lacking personal control? It's not that simple unfortunately.

I know it’s not that simple but the ultimate responsibility for how much someone borrows and spends lies with them.

She didn't want to work with the unions. She wanted to destroy them.

No one could have worked with the unions, they didn't want compromise, they made demands and if they didn't get their way they went on strike, they needed destroying.

Got nothing to do with North Korea.

Just like someone’s unfortunate circumstances now as nothing to do with Thatcher.

In the short-term housing was more affordable but it was a one-off hit. It can't be repeated now. The long-term result coupled with ongoing incompetence by all governments since the 80s is a crisis where houses are unaffordable, in short supply, becoming concentrated into the hands of landlords, where waiting lists are growing, where home ownership levels are falling, where people have to save for years for a deposit and have to wait till their 30s to get on the housing ladder. It's a mess.

I agree, it’s a mess, but that’s not Thatcher’s fault, it down to high immigration, low interest rates, buy to let investors, low house building, demolition of council stock, none of which is her fault.

You can't blame climate change for decades of privatised utilities failing to invest in even basic existing infrastructure.

I don't, I blame it for the change in climate and droughts that mean we have less water to share round the expanding population.

Thatcher left us a selfish individualistic country where society is fragmented, and the economy is broken.

No, she left individuals in control of their own destinies, she gave people hope the opportunity to own their home, without out her the majority would be servants of the state, slaving down dirty mines and dependant on the state for an house.

There is such a thing as society. We need to create a fair one, that makes it safer for all. The rich want to be safe in their houses, and when they walk the street. Its not just the poor that are crying out for better Government.

Gambling, alcohol and drugs, all our lives would be better off without these. Tax them where ever posible, instead of letting them have off-shore tax haven. There is also a problem with treatment. Healthy food, make good local food easier, dont make a system where food is shipped to the other side of the world and back, before it gets eaten. Advertising needs to be regulated, we need to lower the demand for these things.

There is such a thing as society. We need to create a good one.

You really think so?