Margaret Thatcher Thread - Read the first post before posting

Lots of work in Worksop, the sandwich factory is thriving it also helps if you can speak Polish.

Ain't that the truth. I think the number of poles has decreased but there are still alot, although I think there has been a sizeable polish population in Nottinghamshire since the war.

Because its not based on fact.

Which bits?

Wastage of oil/gas revenues? Screwing up the housing market? The flawed utilities sales? Unbalancing the economy? Messing up credit markets? Fostering a culture of selfish individualism? Failing to protect British industry? Messing up the balance of trade?

You bang on about consumer debt and the housing market a lot. You need to understand the origins of the problems.

I do not know about Mr Basham but I do know a lot of people in mining villages who have spent years on the dole.

A little story .

The village school in Creswell Derbyshire overlooked the pit tip.

A mate of mine was a teacher there and one day made the comment,"I don,t know what you lot will do when you leave school".

The whole class stood up pointed out the window and shouted "over there sir".

The kids and grandkids of those pupils have no where to point to now and these kids and others from similar mining villages have no future whatsoever.

This is often due to the isolation of these communities.

Funny that - I grew up in a very similar village not at all that far from Creswell. Father was a miner too. But then again I wasn't daft enough only aspire to the colliery gate, and I actually got off my arse, did some proper study and went to Uni. When the mines closed, as it was clearly obvious they would, I had a lot further to aspire to than the colliery gate - I've worked all over Europe and had a fantastic time doing so.

Not worked for 32 years because the steel industry shut down. That's a parasite and a half - I'm damn sure he could have made efforts to retrain, hell in 32 years there's no excuse at all.