Margaret Thatcher Thread - Read the first post before posting

"Former steelworker Shanwar Bashan, aged 59, from Low Edges, has not worked since 1981 - something he blames entirely on Margaret Thatcher."

Link

Says it all.

Shanwar and millions like him in all heavy industry throughout Britain cast aside just the same as in the 1930's, the differance being that then all the ruling classes had to do was start a good war and get rid of a few million plebs to sort things out.

"Former steelworker Shanwar Bashan, aged 59, from Low Edges, has not worked since 1981 - something he blames entirely on Margaret Thatcher."

Link

Says it all.

He was probably one of the lazy sods that made the steel industry uncompetitive in the first place, probably spent more time drinking tea and smoking than working.

My dad said the mines was full of them, more shirkers than workers.

Link

Says it all.

Shanwar and millions like him in all heavy industry throughout Britain cast aside just the same as in the 1930's, the differance being that then all the ruling classes had to do was start a good war and get rid of a few million plebs to sort things out.

My dad was made redundant from the steel works in the 1990s. He never worked in a steel firm again, but he wasn't out of work for long and soon enough was back in work.

Come on cuttsie, do you believe that Margaret Thatcher was 'entirely to blame' for Mr Bashan spending the last 32 years on the dole?

He was probably one of the lazy sods that made the steel industry uncompetitive in the first place, probably spent more time drinking tea and smoking than working.

My dad said the mines was full of them, more shirkers than workers.

I doubt many blokes spent much time having a fag down the mine.

Strong unions are the last thing this country needs again. strong unions means strikes and the country in chaos. The Labour government of the 70`s let the unions do what they wanted ,and it led to the country being crippled by strikes . Mrs Thatcher came in and put a stop to it. Yes, she was heavy handed in the way she stopped the unions running riot ,but it had to be done. Unions must be kept on a very short lead otherwise we would go back to the dark days of the seventie`s where unions were calling the shots . That must not be allowed to happen.

I love it when the working class behave like turkeys voting for christmas.

I doubt many blokes spent much time having a fag down the mine.

Maybe I should have left a really big cap in between the two sentences so as not to confuse any one. :)

The first sentence is about steal workers and the second is about my dad saying there were many shirkers down the mines.

Come on cuttsie, do you believe that Margaret Thatcher was 'entirely to blame' for Mr Bashan spending the last 32 years on the dole?

I do not know about Mr Basham but I do know a lot of people in mining villages who have spent years on the dole.

A little story .

The village school in Creswell Derbyshire overlooked the pit tip.

A mate of mine was a teacher there and one day made the comment,"I don,t know what you lot will do when you leave school".

The whole class stood up pointed out the window and shouted "over there sir".

The kids and grandkids of those pupils have no where to point to now and these kids and others from similar mining villages have no future whatsoever.

This is often due to the isolation of these communities.

emerging economies started to make the same stuff we'd been making for generations, but far cheaper.

I am gobsmacked at how many people don't realise this. Couple it with the Unions. You have a product that is not selling, yet your workers demand more money and rights.

Surely people know about the Chinese town that renamed itself Sheffield so that it could produce steel with 'Made in Sheffield' on it.

---------- Post added 09-04-2013 at 20:09 ----------

Link

Says it all.

Did MT stop him from going to the job centre, or accessing training to retrain to another profession? Did she actually physically stand at the door and stop him?