Margaret Thatcher Thread - Read the first post before posting

With only 5 years until you have a right to buy, not many will have paid for the house in rents first.

The same goes for those in private rental accommodation. Nobody seems to think it's a good idea for private landlords to have to sell their properties to their tenants at a discount.

Nothing. Expecting the state to subsidise it however...

Some houses that were sold were built in the early 1900s and so plenty of rent had been paid on them.

What have private landlords to do with it ?

How many tenants are being subsidised with their rent by the state nowadays ?

She absolutely ruined a generation, who never recovered and took away people's livings and ways of lives & set family against family. She also caused countless businesses to close, and people to sadly take their own lives.

---------- Post added 09-04-2013 at 20:28 ----------

They were most likley stealing the steel, as well as being lazy. :)

If you're saying that men in the steel industry were lazy, you really ought to hang your head in shame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Hardie

Come on cuttsie, do you believe that Margaret Thatcher was 'entirely to blame' for Mr Bashan spending the last 32 years on the dole?

I do not know about Mr Basham but I do know a lot of people in mining villages who have spent years on the dole.

A little story .

The village school in Creswell Derbyshire overlooked the pit tip.

A mate of mine was a teacher there and one day made the comment,"I don,t know what you lot will do when you leave school".

The whole class stood up pointed out the window and shouted "over there sir".

The kids and grandkids of those pupils have no where to point to now and these kids and others from similar mining villages have no future whatsoever.

This is often due to the isolation of these communities.

It's a nice story but it's utter tripe. No they can't get dirty dangerous and unhealthy jobs down the local pit, but there is plenty more for them. The recent social class study from Manchester uni showed that in the under 30s, the kids of the working class have never had it so good. The kids of these ex-miners aren't sitting at home, they have training & jobs. Many of them have been to uni or got jobs in emergent service sectors which pay nearly equal wages to graduates.

The old class divisions people harp on about on here just aren't relevant to my generation. The biggest differences are intergenerational not inter-class.

A real life story: My wife grew up in one one of the most socio-economically deprived areas in Europe. I grew up in the home counties. Both born under Thatcher, we both did well at school and went to uni. We earn similar wages as do most of our peers, who have equally diverse backgrounds.

The world has moved on. It's a shame some people can't.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Is that the one where she claimed to have "a mandate from the people" despite only getting 42% of the vote?

Not so much a resounding victory as a demonstration of how unrepresentative our electoral system is.

Did you object when Blair won overwhelmingly in 1997?

---------- Post added 09-04-2013 at 20:32 ----------

Many haighly venerated commentators and politicians are saying the exact opposite as I speak.

Just been watching an interesting documentary about the plundering of the Revenues from North Sea Oil.....All in the name of testing out some ideology. Such a waste.

Who are the people you mention? I would like to read or see what they say.

If you're saying that men in the steel industry were lazy, you really ought to hang your head in shame.

Not saying they were all lazy, but the lazy ones were protected by the unions, bosses couldn't sack lazy employees because the unions would threaten strike action.

Not saying they were all lazy, but the lazy ones were protected by the unions, bosses couldn't sack lazy employees because the unions would threaten strike action.

Cheers for that I didn't think you were tarring them all bud, and that could be said in all industries though:)

Certainly no tributes to Thatcher from me.

I was sat in the packed Niagra police club one night during the miners strike,id come to see the turn roy walker,officers from essex and kent among other counties,were filling thier boots with overtime and inflated pay rates while bragging about bashing the hell out of the yorkshire puddings,made me sick to the stomach.

While her and her policy makers were chucking millions on the dole,destroying manufacturing industries and selling off assets,the germans built thiers up with investment and modernisation,and are reaping those benefits now,as we still pay for the mistakes that lot made through higher gas and electric prices,and those parked on disability benefits that her government initiated.

I thought you said your dad worked down the mines?

He did, my wifes dad worked at Templeborough steelworks.

---------- Post added 09-04-2013 at 20:45 ----------

Cheers for that I didn't think you were tarring them all bud, and that could be said in all industries though:)

But not now the unions have less power, the slackers can be sacked with too much fuss.