Margaret Thatcher Thread - Read the first post before posting

Mod Note

This thread is for discussions of Margaret Thatcher , her policies and her legacy.

Please note that the normal forum rules regarding civility & profanity still apply.

Anyone breaking these forum rules will find their accounts suspended indefinitely.

Edited by esme

This is not a condolences thread. There is already a thread for that.

What will you remember Margaret Thatcher for?

my youth devastated by long term unemployment...

"Economics is the method, the object is to change the soul".

Hard to believe at the time but it was Margaret Thatcher, not Joseph Stalin said this.

Of course it's not hard to believe now.

I left school just as Thatcherism was in full swing. Most of my mates had banked upon a career down the pit, at the time the money was good, but the work was tough. I went to University instead.

Turns out that I made the best choice. The Thatcher government effectively declared war upon the mining, steelmaking and shipbuilding industries. I've ended up making a decent living for myself. Many of my contemporaries have not. The Thatcher Government are partly to blame for that. Of course, my mates are also to blame, as are subsequent governments. Nobody has really replaced those manufacturing jobs with anything substantial. That is the real crime. A neglect started by Thatcher and continued by Major, Blair and Brown.

Nowadays, it seems that if you make the "lifestyle choice" to live on benefits, you are scum incarnate. Back then, putting folks on the dole/incapacity benefit was a political solution.

Do I hate Thatcher? No.

Do I hate Thatcherism? Absolutely.

When the Iron Lady came into power the country was being held to ransom by the Unions. We had suffered the 3 day week, firefighters on strike, railway workers on strike , binmen on strike. The country was being crippled by Unions wielding way too much power. She sorted that out, and rightly crushed the Unions .

Britain put in a civil war situation. Road blocks, restrictions of movement. Media controlled by the Torys, man against man, family against family. Communities destroyed. Dirty deals with the Notts miners........a new union [uDM] springs up overnight [no doubt funded by Dark Forces]......................

Its endless. She said " We don't need manufacturing industries anymore. We will have the service industries, insurance and banking". Ho Ho Ho !!!!!! We became the filthiest money laundering centre in the world. Then all the finance and banking industry went belly up. Manufacturing had all gone [to China]. Energy industries had all been sold off [Don't tell Sid] Then fools elected the present Coalition........Clegg takes his 30 pieces of silver. She left a legacy of "every man for himself". My conscience is clear, I saw through most of this crap years ago.........

---------- Post added 08-04-2013 at 23:23 ----------

When the Iron Lady came into power the country was being held to ransom by the Unions. We had suffered the 3 day week, firefighters on strike, railway workers on strike , binmen on strike. The country was being crippled by Unions wielding way too much power. She sorted that out, and rightly crushed the Unions .

Oh dear, another typical uninformed post. All based on 'wot it sez in the SUN'

For Christs sake, THINK !!! Use a little grey matter. Are you allowed out on your own ??? :rolleyes:

She never started a war but new how to end one by winning.

She cut out the dead wood of our industrial past.

She followed her convictions with no regard for her reputation.

She was the best leader this country ever had.

She is hated by those who can't understand what its is to lead from the front.

She had more balls than all men in her midst.

Like a parents tough love she made people depend on themselves not others.

She is what this country needs again, not the weak limp fools who govern us now.

M Thatcher had more balls than any other prime minister .It's shamefull the way Sheffield has took to the streets celebrating her death ,even more so G Galloway should hang his head in shame, he will never aspire to be a great leader such as MT was.

She is what this country needs again, not the weak limp fools who govern us now.

Spot on :thumbsup:

Great post Riche

Well said, though the poll tax was a stupid idea.