Margaret Thatcher Thread - Read the first post before posting

"Former steelworker Shanwar Bashan, aged 59, from Low Edges, has not worked since 1981 - something he blames entirely on Margaret Thatcher."

Link

Says it all.

I am gobsmacked at how many people don't realise this. Couple it with the Unions. You have a product that is not selling, yet your workers demand more money and rights.

Surely people know about the Chinese town that renamed itself Sheffield so that it could produce steel with 'Made in Sheffield' on it.

---------- Post added 09-04-2013 at 20:09 ----------

Did MT stop him from going to the job centre, or accessing training to retrain to another profession? Did she actually physically stand at the door and stop him?

He hasn't worked since 1981, when he was 28/29.

Did anybody manage to find a job in Sheffield between 1981 and now?

The taxpayer has paid for a free ride for him throughout what (should have been) most of his working life and will, no doubt, to be expected to feed him and look after him throughout his 'retirement'.

There's something seriously wrong with the system.

Some houses that were sold were built in the early 1900s and so plenty of rent had been paid on them.

Not by the person who'd be buying the house though.

What have private landlords to do with it ?

If the principal is that a tenant should have a right to buy a property at a discount after they've paid so much renting it why would it matter who the landlord was? Limiting it to council properties only means it's the state subsidising people buying properties.

How many tenants are being subsidised with their rent by the state nowadays ?
Those receiving housing benefit?

Correct donkey, there was no miracle

Other countries with oil and gas reserves used the funds from it to enrich the lives of citizens, to invest for the future. Thatcher used the funds to maintain people on the dole and invalidity benefits.

The public already owned the utilities having spent had their taxes used to build and develop them over decades. Thatcher sold the public something they already owned.

She created a housing crisis we've never recovered from.

She unbalanced the economy. Freed credit. Failed to protect our industry. Invited cheap imports. Introduced a culture of selfish individualism.

History will judge the 80s to be an economic disaster. The amazing thing is she got away with making the public think she was doing it for them.

Congratulations on your Uni education.

I take it you are not conversant with pit villages , villages that are often in the middle of nowhere

Villages where just to travel to a town is a non starter if you are a young skint school leaver with no prospects, this can be due to your location away from centres of what is left of Industry.

So just like all other villages then. So I might know a thing or two about that.

I'd suggest a school leaver with no other training and no prospects has a few more problems than just their geographical location. Yes there are people with problems, but to suggest that hundreds of thousands of working class kids are doomed to the dole because one local employer, in a field they have no experience of, has closed, is at best inaccurate.

Nobody had a secure job for life anymore, still less someone with no skills or education.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I take it you haven't studied history up to GCSE standard then?

I didn't need to study history to know that every company I have worked for treats their employees well, I don't know anyone that says the company they work for treats them like crap. It’s more likely a myth perpetuated by union men to try and regain the power they lost.

And it was O levels in my day.

Not in my experience, every company I have worked for and the ones my son as worked for, treat their employee well, without any union involvement.

But for unions, you'd have no holidays, no sick pay, employment rights, no Health & Safety at work, the list is endless

Correct donkey, there was no miracle

Other countries with oil and gas reserves used the funds from it to enrich the lives of citizens, to invest for the future. Thatcher used the funds to maintain people on the dole and invalidity benefits.

The public already owned the utilities having spent had their taxes used to build and develop them over decades. Thatcher sold the public something they already owned.

She created a housing crisis we've never recovered from.

She unbalanced the economy. Freed credit. Failed to protect our industry. Invited cheap imports. Introduced a culture of selfish individualism.

History will judge the 80s to be an economic disaster. The amazing thing is she got away with making the public think she was doing it for them.

Despite all that nonsense we were doing just fine until labour took over the reins of power.

---------- Post added 09-04-2013 at 21:24 ----------

But for unions, you'd have no holidays, no sick pay, employment rights, no Health & Safety at work, the list is endless

Now you are just being silly, of cause we would have those things.

At least she only sold the silver. Gordon Brown and Tony Blair sold all the gold at a bargain price

True, and the point is they were following in her footsteps. Thatcher was the first person Blair went to see when he became PM. She in turn, thought he was a splendid fellow.

---------- Post added 09-04-2013 at 21:30 ----------

I didn't need to study history to know that every company I have worked for treats their employees well, I don't know anyone that says the company they work for treats them like crap. It’s more likely a myth perpetuated by union men to try and regain the power they lost.

And it was O levels in my day.

History is a myth perpetrated by union men? Don't really think there is much point trying to debate on that level. Which reminds me, time to feed the goldfish.