Margaret Thatcher Thread - Read the first post before posting

It's a nice story but it's utter tripe. No they can't get dirty dangerous and unhealthy jobs down the local pit, but there is plenty more for them. The recent social class study from Manchester uni showed that in the under 30s, the kids of the working class have never had it so good. The kids of these ex-miners aren't sitting at home, they have training & jobs. Many of them have been to uni or got jobs in emergent service sectors which pay nearly equal wages to graduates.

The old class divisions people harp on about on here just aren't relevant to my generation. The biggest differences are intergenerational not inter-class.

A real life story: My wife grew up in one one of the most socio-economically deprived areas in Europe. I grew up in the home counties. Both born under Thatcher, we both did well at school and went to uni. We earn similar wages as do most of our peers, who have equally diverse backgrounds.

The world has moved on. It's a shame some people can't.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Congratulations on your Uni education.

I take it you are not conversant with pit villages , villages that are often in the middle of nowhere

Villages where just to travel to a town is a non starter if you are a young skint school leaver with no prospects, this can be due to your location away from centres of what is left of Industry.

By the way my story is not tripe it is a true story told to me by both a pupil and the Headmaster from Creswell school.

Edited by cuttsie

He did, my wifes dad worked at Templeborough steelworks.

---------- Post added 09-04-2013 at 20:45 ----------

But not now the unions have less power, the slackers can be sacked with too much fuss.

But now the unions have less power the management just treat all like gutter *****, people ought to remember the good that unions have done for workers in this country. I'm all in favour of the closed shop, no union member no job there .

Remember when folk go on strike for say more money the ones who go in I won't say scabs, don't turn round at the end when the union has won more & say oh I didn't strike I'll have the 1st offer, gutless just want the efforts won by others with no personal sacrifices.

While her and her policy makers were chucking millions on the dole,destroying manufacturing industries and selling off assets,the germans built thiers up with investment and modernisation,and are reaping those benefits now,as we still pay for the mistakes that lot made through higher gas and electric prices,and those parked on disability benefits that her government initiated.

It is good, at last, to see more and more people challenging the lies we've been interminably spoon fed for the last 30 years, concerning Thatcher's economic legacy.

McMillan was right when he said she was "selling the family silver"

Her 'good years' were financed by the sale of national assets, public housing and North Sea oil. As soon as those revenues ran out, we were back in recession.

Two thirds of her term as PM were marked by recession, falling living standards and political unrest. Yet she is remembered in the media for the short boom experienced across the developed world at that time - not just in Britain - and which mostly benefited a small minority anyway.

It wasn't an economic miracle. It was effective propaganda. The Tories hired the best advertisers and marketing firms in the country. They entered into unprecedented alliances with the like of Rupert Murdoch and paved the way for the tabloid excesses of the next three decades, in exchange for a steady stream of crude but effective propaganda. That legacy lives on. Cameron is an ex media PR man.

But the true legacy of the 're-structuring' and 'de-regulation' championed by Thatcher and Reagan is what we are experiencing now.

Edited by donkey

It is good, at last, to see more and more people challenging the lies we've been interminably spoon fed for the last 30 years, concerning Thatcher's economic legacy.

McMillan was right when he said she was "selling the family silver"

Her 'good years' were financed by the sale of national assets, public housing and North Sea oil. As soon as those revenues ran out, we were back in recession.

Two thirds of her term as PM were marked by recession, falling living standards and political unrest. Yet she is remembered in the media for the short boom experienced across the developed world at that time - not just in Britain - and which mostly benefited a small minority anyway. That's propaganda for you.

The true legacy of the 're-structuring' and 'de-regulation' championed by Thatcher and Reagan is what we are experiencing now.

Correctamundo! I saw a poll earlier saying that 50% of people thought she

had a beneficial effect on the UK - but I'm not surprised with the non-stop sycophantic reporting by the Beeb, rather rose-tinting peoples views on things.

But now the unions have less power the management just treat all like gutter *****, people ought to remember the good that unions have done for workers in this country. I'm all in favour of the closed shop, no union member no job there .

Remember when folk go on strike for say more money the ones who go in I won't say scabs, don't turn round at the end when the union has won more & say oh I didn't strike I'll have the 1st offer, gutless just want the efforts won by others with no personal sacrifices.

Not in my experience, every company I have worked for and the ones my son as worked for, treat their employee well, without any union involvement.

Congratulations on your Uni education.

I take it you are not conversant with pit villages , villages that are often in the middle of nowhere

Villages where just to travel to a town is a non starter if you are a young skint school leaver with no prospects, this can be due to your location away from centres of what is left of Industry.

By the way my story is not tripe it is a true story told to me by both a pupil and the Headmaster from Creswell school.

I am familiar with pit villages, I grew up in one. The pits closed about 3 years or so before I left school. However, most of the kids that left the comprehensive from that mining village are now pretty successful in their chosen path.