Sycamore Gap Tree

23 hours ago, Rollypolly said:

If it is a 16 year old he'll probably just get a slap on the wrist and be allowed to continue his life of crime. 

If it was up to me I'd say & 10k fine & you WILL pay it, even if it takes a life time plus here's a hand axe, there's the tree, turn it into 5" sticks of kindling. 

That's your weekends sorted out until you're about 70! 

• Like 2

https://news.sky.com/story/sycamore-gap-tree-second-person-arrested-in-connection-with-felling-of-iconic-landmark-12972772

Second arrest made, a 60yr old man. 

Starting to look a lot like a local landowner not wanting the tourism. 

Local businesses that rely on the tourists are concerned now about loss of income leading to unemployment 

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe that it will  stop tourists coming to visit Hadrian’s Wall and the Roman garrisons because some idiots have destroyed the sycamore tree.  I don’t live to far from Hadrian’s Wall and have often walked along parts of the wall and surrounding area, there are lovely views of the landscape. There’s something magical about the whole area. 

It’s a pity the ghosts of the Roman soldiers didn’t chop the culprits down when they were vandalising the tree.