Sycamore Gap Tree

14 hours ago, Resident said:

https://news.sky.com/story/sycamore-gap-tree-second-person-arrested-in-connection-with-felling-of-iconic-landmark-12972772

Second arrest made, a 60yr old man. 

Starting to look a lot like a local landowner not wanting the tourism. 

Local businesses that rely on the tourists are concerned now about loss of income leading to unemployment 

I did find it strange that this 60 yr old was kept overnight, does criminal damage warrant a jail sentance?

Not many offences do, these days.

13 hours ago, El Cid said:

I did find it strange that this 60 yr old was kept overnight, does criminal damage warrant a jail sentence?

Not many offences do, these days.

Police can hold you for 24 hours without charge.

It could be that they needed the time to gain a search warrant, time that if he was released on bail could have been used to dispose of evidence. 

On 30/09/2023 at 06:31, hauxwell said:

I find it hard to believe that it will  stop tourists coming to visit Hadrian’s Wall and the Roman garrisons because some idiots have destroyed the sycamore tree.  I don’t live to far from Hadrian’s Wall and have often walked along parts of the wall and surrounding area, there are lovely views of the landscape. There’s something magical about the whole area. 

It’s a pity the ghosts of the Roman soldiers didn’t chop the culprits down when they were vandalising the tree.

Spot on. I was up there last Sunday and although there were plenty of folks in the vicinity it’s the attraction of the whole area that draws people in, the chance to walk-in a Roman soldiers footsteps, not just the Sycamore, beautiful though it was.

For me it’s a day trip to the area, for others it’s a pilgrimage half way round the world.

Plus a visit to the Twice Brewed pub afterwards.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Spot on. I was up there last Sunday and although there were plenty of folks in the vicinity it’s the attraction of the whole area that draws people in, the chance to walk-in a Roman soldiers footsteps, not just the Sycamore, beautiful though it was.

For me it’s a day trip to the area, for others it’s a pilgrimage half way round the world.

Plus a visit to the Twice Brewed pub afterwards.

I’ve been to Wallsend museum on many occasions, Segedunum Roman Fort, the start of Hadrian’s Wall,  it’s a lovely little museum next to the River Tyne. 

There is a replica of the Roman Wall built from original stones I believe. 

I’ve seen a few people getting ready to walk to Bowness On Solway from there, it’s not the most scenic start to the walk tho. They must be on a pilgrimage to walk all that way or they love walking with lovely views as the walk progresses and full of history from the very start of the walk.

I’ve had enough walking from Wallsend museum to Newcastle Quayside. 

It seems that the other one arrested is a 69 year old lumberjack recently evicted from  nearby. Police have found a chainsaw and “other evidence”. 

The Twice Brewed pub who have a pale ale on tap called Sycamore Gap have offered a £150 bar tab to anyone who comes forward with evidence.

3 hours ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

It seems that the other one arrested is a 69 year old lumberjack recently evicted from  nearby. Police have found a chainsaw and “other evidence”. 

The Twice Brewed pub who have a pale ale on tap called Sycamore Gap have offered a £150 bar tab to anyone who comes forward with evidence.

£1500

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/twice-brewed-sycamore-gap-northumberland-27805002

• 7 months later...
Just now, Baron99 said:

Two men finally charged & due in court later this month. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-68931202

What will they get?  A suspended sentence & a slap on the wrist? 

I'd recommend using one of the tree branches for the slap on the wrist. 

Its been on Tyne Tees news up here in Newcastle last week.  I agree with the tree branches for a slap on the wrist.