Sycamore Gap Tree

18 minutes ago, Rollypolly said:

Someone has felled the ancient tree at Sycamore Gap in Northumberland. I cannot understand why anyone would do something like that. It just seems like pure malicious vandalism 🤬

Just been reading about that RP.

What a shame, that tree is hundreds of years old, and very famous.

Someone with a chain saw apparently, seems senseless to me.

What a world we live in...

• Sad 1

How terribly sad.

Nothing surprises me about what humans are capable of, imagine actually doing that.

Definitely an act of vandalism, a clean cut with a chainsaw. My bet it's a local farmer who doesn't want folk near or on his land.

I hope the punishment is stretching his legs apart and seeing how far the felled tree will go up his arris.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

How terribly sad.

Nothing surprises me about what humans are capable of, imagine actually doing that.

Definitely an act of vandalism, a clean cut with a chainsaw. My bet it's a local farmer who doesn't want folk near or on his land.

I hope the punishment is stretching his legs apart and seeing how far the felled tree will go up his arris.

It's National Trust land.  If this was the culmination of some sort of dispute about the land it would surely have been known by now.

First thought was that it was some sort of YouTube **** prankster doing it for the clicks. 

Never handled a chainsaw so don't know how easy they are to use without making a mess.  But that cut looks pretty clean, like someone knows their way around one.

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

How terribly sad.

I know it's a rare event but I agree with you Mr Bundy.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Resident said:

https://news.sky.com/story/sycamore-gap-iconic-tree-at-hadrians-wall-deliberately-felled-12971594

Ain't no way a 16 Yr old has done that. 

That's a professional cut with proper hardware. 

Of course a 16 year old could have done that if he has been taught how to use a chain saw and has access to proper hardware.