Central library closure

I wonder if people remember what happened to Ecclesall Library, a lovely old building that belonged to the people of Sheffield. Sold (illegally) and private flats built - and the replacement library a small building with little room for books. If Central Library is sold to become a posh hotel I would not trust the Council to give the new library a decent and sizable building. People go to Central Library to study as well as borrow books and to use the computers. Will there be study rooms in any replacement? or just a token stack of books and a couple of computers?

That's my concern. I don't object to moving the central library in principle, but I don't trust the council to provide a new one at least as good as the old one.

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 14:21 ----------

Sheffield is a Labour Council, what, prey tell, has this got to do with the Tory's?

Councils get most of their money from the national government, and that has been cut because of the bogus austerity.

53% of Sheffield Council's income, for example:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/finance/where-does-the-money-come-from.html

Wasn't the current Mercure Hotel (adjacent to the Winter Garden ) originally going to be a five star Mcdonald Hotel - until that company decided there wasn't the demand?

It's a big ask to offer a 5 star hotel. Most 5 star hotels in the UK are in London which is a totally different economy. I think Manchester, now regarded as a major international city has one - the Lowry.

It's not just the cost of high quality furnishings but also the staffing levels necessary to offer a 5 star service. It's a labour intensive industry and wages / salaries will always be the highest cost. It's difficult to cut corners in a 5 star establishment. The operator would soon get found out.

As far as the Library Theatre is concerned the hotel operator could incorporate it similar to the Savoy Hotel and Savoy Theatre on the Strand.

The Central Library is a building with a large footprint. One item necessary in a hotel bedroom is a window. Now if all the bedrooms were built on the outside walls taking advantage of the current window spaces then this leaves a huge space in the centre of the building that could appear to be redundant. I suppose they could build quadrangles with bedrooms facing into inner wells but would this be of a 5 star standard?

It's a big ask to offer a 5 star hotel. Most 5 star hotels in the UK are in London which is a totally different economy. I think Manchester, now regarded as a major international city has one - the Lowry.

It's not just the cost of high quality furnishings but also the staffing levels necessary to offer a 5 star service. It's a labour intensive industry and wages / salaries will always be the highest cost. It's difficult to cut corners in a 5 star establishment. The operator would soon get found out.

As far as the Library Theatre is concerned the hotel operator could incorporate it similar to the Savoy Hotel and Savoy Theatre on the Strand.

The Central Library is a building with a large footprint. One item necessary in a hotel bedroom is a window. Now if all the bedrooms were built on the outside walls taking advantage of the current window spaces then this leaves a huge space in the centre of the building that could appear to be redundant. I suppose they could build quadrangles with bedrooms facing into inner wells but would this be of a 5 star standard?

Whilst I would agree that the obvious prominence of 5 star hotels is in London, at the end of the day it is very much just a rating set out by a list of basic standards and facility provision.

There are many other 5 star hotels across the UK and in various cities. It stands to reason that Sheffield should also be seeking to offer such a facility.

5 star hotels are seen in Chester, Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle, Bristol, Glasgow, York, Bath, Leeds, Aberdeen plus out of town locations in the Lake Districts, Derbyshire, Hertfordshire, Devon and the Channel Islands.

It all depends what website you look at.

It also depends how much money you want to chuck at the golden badge on the front of the building. Take our own Leopold Hotel. Posh it might be. But would anyone call it 5 star?? No pool, no spa, no business facilities, no michelin star restaurant. Despite that, the hotel was still (up until its recent take over) part of the "Leading Hotels of the World" consortium. A membership of which is shared by places such as the Ritz and Lanesborough in London, Manchester's Lowry, The Bath Spa and the Gleneagles Hotel in Scotland.

How did little old leopold get on the list with these other "premier" hotels. I have no idea....

...... ££££££

Bottom line, is demand will dictate whether a hotel will survive or fail. The market is certainly there in Sheffield and needs dragging up a level. As with everything else, we are lagging in our hospitality offering and it needs sorting.

Sheffielders refusing change to cling on to some underused and outdated library facility are not going to help that.

The investors are preserving the building. They have even said that they will keep the precious Graves Gallery in place for the public to continue to visit. That's the important thing... right?

After all, keeping the beautiful building standing is what people are so concerned about....right? Keeping the artwork and gallery available for everyone is the issue....right?

It certainly aint the location of the books and outdated computer facilities is it.

No problem then.

I don't know whether or not there is enough demand for an additional top of the range hotel in Sheffield, but if someone is aspirational enough to want to try, and see the central library as a suitable site, then SCC should look seriously at finding a mutually beneficial way of enabling such a hotel, provided:

The city finishes up with an up to date library complex (not just books on shelves, but archives, research facilities etc), ideally in a purpose built structure which ideally could be an iconic building in its own right, as well as a dedicated site for Graves, possibly in the same building.

It would be good to see an aspirational joint venture between SCC and private enterprise for the good of the city as a whole.

I don't know whether or not there is enough demand for an additional top of the range hotel in Sheffield, but if someone is aspirational enough to want to try, and see the central library as a suitable site, then SCC should look seriously at finding a mutually beneficial way of enabling such a hotel, provided:

The city finishes up with an up to date library complex (not just books on shelves, but archives, research facilities etc), ideally in a purpose built structure which ideally could be an iconic building in its own right, as well as a dedicated site for Graves, possibly in the same building.

It would be good to see an aspirational joint venture between SCC and private enterprise for the good of the city as a whole.

I believe the intention is for the gallery to remain in the current building but at street level with access from botth the street and the hotel.

It's not an additional top of the range hotel, there simply aren't any at the moment