Central library closure

Well the link in the last post by laz says this:

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 20:34 ----------

cross-posted with you... well yeah, again. Difficult to trust these people isn't it.

If you substitute difficult with 'foolish', even closer the mark.

After their antics last week, I've lost complete faith in them, and I'm one of the 'tree haters' (that's what someone on my street called me, who I've never even met before because I had very good reasons for wanting a tree removed!) who has been asking for trees to go!

Birmingham Library is an impressive new build effort too, although it did cost £200m
wow £200million!

Yep. Leeds and Harrogate for starters!
Nice is harrogate but i meant in sheffield tfh ..both towns library's are nice too. Nothing wrong with progression, but tradition and history needn't be bulldozed to make way for it. the 1960s sheffield building schemes are a great example of that..

Maybe if more was spent on the current library building it would be cheaper than building a shortterm glass or chinese steel structure ..

Edited by WestTinsley

Really? What Is this town turning to? Giving up education for profit making. I wonder what our kids would face in next 10 years

This is the thing, unless they are lying, then there will be somewhere more modern (education wise).

Really? What Is this town turning to? Giving up education for profit making. I wonder what our kids would face in next 10 years

Fewer stairs for a start :hihi:

Won't something think of the children having to use stairs? :hihi:

I'd like to know how many kids have stepped into a library in the past few years.

Sadly, none of my nephew's or niece's have. As a kid I used to use both my local and Central Library. Services need to be bought up to date and rationalised. Unfortunately, money is key to this and reduced Central Government funding and other Council services take priority.

The bottom line is that the building needs to be protected regardless of the Library staying there or not. A future Central Library needs to be fit for future generations and their needs in a a ever more digital world, so I don't envisage a Central Library in its current shape or form moving forward.

Perhaps, a more collaborative approach with both Universities would be of benefit?

I'd like to know why the library suddenly needs £30 million worth of renovation and updating work and isn't fit for purpose. Surely the major issues such as poor disabled access and a stone age heating system were also a problem ten years ago, when SCC was getting boat loads of cash from the Government? Why wasn't it addressed then? (Like the roads..)