Central library closure

libarys are essential and are used not just for books ,the council should think twice they are enough hotels already in Sheffield.

That is why this library needs replacing. Trust me, this has been on the agenda for years, if not decades. Just resisting change for the sake of it being change is pointless, it is why the library service finds itself in the state it is in.

Maybe somebody might think of a parent carrying a pram up and down those stairs, if and when a new Central Library comes to fruition.

Something like this https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/infocommons is what I expect a modern library to be like.

Not sure where in Sheffield it could be built, maybe on the Staples/Mothercare site, although I would prefer to see it more central.

The Information Commons is essentially a cafe. Hallam's Adetts is similar. Actual work gets done in the proper Library (Western Bank), which is massive (4 floors under ground, as well as the 2 above)

Edited by Dan_Ashcroft

The Information Commons is essentially a cafe. Hallam's Adetts is similar. Actual work gets done in the proper Library (Western Bank), which is massive (4 floors under ground, as well as the 2 above)

Adsetts must have changed a lot in recent years if you think it is "essentially a cafe" where no actual work gets done. Exaggerate much?

Guest makapaka

I must have imagined spending night on night in the adsetts writing my dissertation then.

I would say that is rather a large exaggeration.

There is a small cafe in the IC, which is visible from the outside so may give the impression that that is all that is happening. The rest of the IC is always pretty rammed with people studiously working away. I have always preferred Western Bank, especially down in the stacks, but I certainly wouldn't say the IC is essentially a cafe.

libarys are essential and are used not just for books ,the council should think twice they are enough hotels already in Sheffield.

Could you share your source for this claim please? I want to pass it on to the numerous hotel chains who keep wanting to open in Sheffield. They are under the impression there is a shortfall in supply of hotel beds in Sheffield (they must be, otherwise they wouldn't consider it profitable enough to bother pursuing) so must be working off different, incorrect figures.