Central library closure

Depressing news. I think the library is one of the few great buildings in Sheffield, plus its one I have grown up with.

The reason it may be less used now is because whenever there are cuts, its the library which gets cut plus they have shut the hours by c50%. Used to be open till 10pm or was it 10:30 nearly every night. It is still well used and they have adapted as well as they can with the funding for technology they get.

If we have to sell the building to the Chinese, then what are we going to get in return? Not even sure there is a need for a 5 star hotel in Sheffield. They might as well take the whole building, but it will be yet another public space we no longer have access to.

Depressing news. I think the library is one of the few great buildings in Sheffield, plus its one I have grown up with.

The reason it may be less used now is because whenever there are cuts, its the library which gets cut plus they have shut the hours by c50%. Used to be open till 10pm or was it 10:30 nearly every night. It is still well used and they have adapted as well as they can with the funding for technology they get.

If we have to sell the building to the Chinese, then what are we going to get in return? Not even sure there is a need for a 5 star hotel in Sheffield. They might as well take the whole building, but it will be yet another public space we no longer have access to.

I do think that other buildings might be better suited for conversion to a 5 Star Hotel. What about the old Town Hall Court building, or the Old Post Office building (which I think Hallam is meant to be doing something to but I'm not sure if that is going ahead?).

I know the location isn't quiet as nice, but then investment in that area could have a knock on effect and therefore improve that whole area. Perhaps it isn't big enough, I've not seen it in a while so can't remember?

I'm probably being naive but it just seems a shame to continue to let beautiful buildings like this rot when we have the opportunity for investment.

I do think that other buildings might be better suited for conversion to a 5 Star Hotel. What about the old Town Hall Court building, or the Old Post Office building (which I think Hallam is meant to be doing something to but I'm not sure if that is going ahead?).

I know the location isn't quiet as nice, but then investment in that area could have a knock on effect and therefore improve that whole area. Perhaps it isn't big enough, I've not seen it in a while so can't remember?

I'm probably being naive but it just seems a shame to continue to let beautiful buildings like this rot when we have the opportunity for investment.

Hallam have finished the conversion of the Old Post Office, which is nice to see.

I just don't see an investor taking a chance on a 5 star hotel in the old Town Hall TBH. It's pretty grim down there and to walk out from there at night would not be a nice stroll.

I agree with your sentiments though.

The Old Town Hall is privately owned and they have no intention of selling at a sensible price so it will just rot unless they do.

The council estimate doing up the library will cost £30million which they just don't have. It costs £2m a year to keep it going.

They are not selling the library building, it would be leased.

No plans or site has been sorted for the new library but there will be one.

I think people should have some (maybe blind) faith in the council to do something right. The law of averages has to turn in their favour one day.

As stated elsewhere there is a public consultation in The Town Hall on the 6th of Dec 5.30 to 7.30 if memory serves. If you want an input, pop along.

The Old Town Hall is privately owned and they have no intention of selling at a sensible price so it will just rot unless they do.

The council estimate doing up the library will cost £30million which they just don't have. It costs £2m a year to keep it going.

I think people should have some (maybe blind) faith in the council to do something right. The law of averages has to turn in their favour one day.

As stated elsewhere there is a public consultation in The Town Hall on the 6th of Dec 5.30 to 7.30 if memory serves. If you want an input, pop along.

Yes, we rely on the council getting it right.

We vote for / employ people to act on our behalf. There may be an opportunity for these people to produce something for the benefit, long term, of our city.

Good luck to them.

There is a thread on the old town hall. there were links to an article showing he decay inside. It appears to be owned by 2 prvate businessmen. I dont think its in the right area, its not nice down there whereas the lbrary has the theatres, winter gardens , Uni, town hall and town etc. If they are going to turf out the library, then the new library should be soemthing like the manchester bullring one o i.e better than what its replacing.

---------- Post added 28-11-2016 at 17:26 ----------

Leased for how long? presumably beyond our lifetime. Its a shame for the library to leave the building but wait and see what they propose the new library will be.

I didn't know about the Old Town Hall—is this the building you mean?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Old_Town_Hall

---------- Post added 30-11-2016 at 09:21 ----------

serous question, what do you mean, "at least as good as the old one" in what way.

I thought it was obvious from the context, but I meant not replacing it with a downgraded facility like at Ecclesall.

Edited by adamf