Central library closure

I'd like to know how many kids have stepped into a library in the past few years.

I don't know numbers, but there are always plenty of children up at Ecclesall Library when I use it.

I also used to take my own kids to the Central Library children's section, again there were always other children in there.

---------- Post added 24-11-2016 at 12:38 ----------

I'd like to know why the library suddenly needs £30 million worth of renovation and updating work and isn't fit for purpose. Surely the major issues such as poor disabled access and a stone age heating system were also a problem ten years ago, when SCC was getting boat loads of cash from the Government? Why wasn't it addressed then? (Like the roads..)

Different spending priorities I guess. I think the structural integrity is a major issue, as well as the issues you have highlighted.

Were SCC getting boatloads of cash from the government 10 years ago? Did a lot of finance not come through PFI?

Does Sheffield need yet another hotel? [A: No.]

Does it need a Central Library? [A: Yes.]

Yes, because I see no end of people who can;t get a hotel here during, even quite small, events.

How do we save Sheffield City Library from foreign investors?

Why do we need to?

Tell them they can have The Old Town Hall.

Sadly, the Old Town Hall is privately owned and thise owners are not playing ball to let the people of the city use it for good things.

I wonder if people remember what happened to Ecclesall Library, a lovely old building that belonged to the people of Sheffield. Sold (illegally) and private flats built - and the replacement library a small building with little room for books. If Central Library is sold to become a posh hotel I would not trust the Council to give the new library a decent and sizable building. People go to Central Library to study as well as borrow books and to use the computers. Will there be study rooms in any replacement? or just a token stack of books and a couple of computers?

Who knows. Only plans will tell

Three Hotels within a 500 yard radius of the Central Library, why another one?

Because we don't have enough and we don't have a single 5 star one.

This is the thing, unless they are lying, then there will be somewhere more modern (education wise).

Fewer stairs for a start :hihi:

Won't something think of the children having to use stairs? :hihi:

Maybe somebody might think of a parent carrying a pram up and down those stairs, if and when a new Central Library comes to fruition.

Something like this https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/infocommons is what I expect a modern library to be like.

Not sure where in Sheffield it could be built, maybe on the Staples/Mothercare site, although I would prefer to see it more central.

Maybe somebody might think of a parent carrying a pram up and down those stairs, if and when a new Central Library comes to fruition.

I know, I was just being sarcastic. I'm in favour of the thing IF a new one is built first.

Something like this https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/infocommons is what I expect a modern library to be like.

Not sure where in Sheffield it could be built, maybe on the Staples/Mothercare site, although I would prefer to see it more central.

IC is a good example, though I'd prefer a building that doesn't look like a giant 1960s railway station men's urinal.

I agree, a bit more central would be better. The Staples probably is a good size site. I've made two suggestions where.

Especially the misplaced apostrophe section.

Have you finished with your Kleenex?

---------- Post added 24-11-2016 at 13:13 ----------

I know, I was just being sarcastic. I'm in favour of the thing IF a new one is built first.

IC is a good example, though I'd prefer a building that doesn't look like a giant 1960s railway station men's urinal.

I agree, a bit more central would be better. The Staples probably is a good size site. I've made two suggestions where.

Staples site would be great for access and a lot of Council stuff is based that end.

Staples site would be great for access and a lot of Council stuff is based that end.

I suppose. I thought would be better up near the grosvenor new complex (or part of it) might be better.

I suppose the cost of the site will alter things, I don't know what sites in Sheffield the SCC own (if any vacant ones)

I suppose. I thought would be better up near the grosvenor new complex (or part of it) might be better.

I suppose the cost of the site will alter things, I don't know what sites in Sheffield the SCC own (if any vacant ones)

Think all that area is booked up for retail?! With Staples going and next door vacant, could be a possibility. Good transport connection and maybe even limited parking!

I would expect that the design and usage of the Grosvenor site is already fixed.