Central library closure

That's globalisation for you. Eventually this city will lose its identity and become the same as all the other cities.

I don't know of many other cities that have systematically destroyed any building of historic significance and architectural merit. I suppose that is why we have a block of concrete flats and a concrete electric substation as listed buildings whilst Greenhill Hall got flattened.

i don't know of many other cities that have systematically destroyed any building of historic significance and architectural merit. I suppose that is why we have a block of concrete flats and a concrete electric substation as listed buildings whilst greenhill hall got flattened.

for gods sake - the building is not going anywhere!!!!!

for gods sake - the building is not going anywhere!!!!!

Do you imagine that the requirements of a public library and a 5 star hotel are similar?

I don't know of many other cities that have systematically destroyed any building of historic significance and architectural merit. I suppose that is why we have a block of concrete flats and a concrete electric substation as listed buildings whilst Greenhill Hall got flattened.

Derby just sold off their central library and the library is going to be in the town hall basement.

Do you imagine that the requirements of a public library and a 5 star hotel are similar?

Does the basic shell off the building have to be any different?

Does the basic shell off the building have to be any different?

I imagine that depends on whether they intend the hotel to have fire escapes, extractors, plumbing and rooms with windows.

I imagine that depends on whether they intend the hotel to have fire escapes, extractors, plumbing and rooms with windows.

And if the investors have enough money to turn it into a 5 star hotel - why would it be a problem.

I do hope you've noticed the Central Library already has windows :cool:

Public sentiment is against closing down the Library. Time the council stopped flogging off assets and cutting down trees . Tory austerity or no tory austerity.

I do not understand what the council is trying to do at all. I think the council need a good kick (to be fair) and maybe be replaced altogether

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw
Offensive phrase snipped

Public sentiment is against closing down the Library. Time the council stopped flogging off assets and cutting down trees . Tory austerity or no tory austerity.

If flogging means selling What are the council flogging off?

as far as public sentiment being against closing down the library, i think you will find that there is a few hundred kicking up a fuss about it, and the rest of the half million plus population of Sheffield couldn't care less.

There was an informatory meeting a couple of weeks ago run by the council 300 turned up, and, not by any means was they all against the plans for the library,

And if the investors have enough money to turn it into a 5 star hotel - why would it be a problem.

It is a problem because it is a public assett and I and many other council tax payers have already sunk a lot of money into it..

---------- Post added 11-12-2016 at 09:45 ----------

I do hope you've noticed the Central Library already has windows :cool:

So has my shed but hotel guests normally expect a window in each room. :loopy:

Edited by hush

On the subject of sheds, I pay a shedload of money in council tax (or whatever they call it these days ) and see precious little for it!! The library is one public resource which does give me value.