Lots Of Police Outside Birley Academy.

I drove past half an hour ago and there was loads of Police and Vans outside Birley Academy.

I've tried phoning my Grandson who is a Pupil there but no answer.

He has just texted me to say they are all safe.

I don't know what has occurred.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

I drove past half an hour ago and there was loads of Police and Vans outside Birley Academy.

I've tried phoning my Grandson who is a Pupil there but no answer.

He has just texted me to say they are all safe.

I don't know what has occurred.

Dropped Grandson off at nursery there and as we left four police cars shot up Birley Lane at great speed. At 8.55

Edited by hackey lad

Hope all is well, and it's a police 'over reaction.' Some incidents no matter how large or small they send vehicles etc based on size of premises, so lots for a school.

Very worrying. Please keep us informed.

1 minute ago, Andy_terrier said:

Just overheard a mother on the tram on her way to school. Didn't know what it was till I saw this. Sounds serious. She was very frustrated with the school by the sound of it.

The School aren't answering the phone but my Grandson has messaged us saying they're all safe but he wants to come home.

• Like 1

Statement fromt he school on X

This morning we went into lockdown as a precaution following an incident at the school. This was not a decision taken lightly but the safety of students and staff is paramount. All students and staff are safe. We are working closely with the police and will update shortly.

From BBC News:

"Boy, 17 arrested on suspicion of attempted murder

"A 17-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after three people were injured in an attack at a school in Sheffield.

"Two adults and a child were treated at the scene following the incident at Birley Academy on Birley Lane.

"Both adults suffered minor injures while the child was being "checked over", South Yorkshire Police said.

"The force said officers responded to reports of an incident involving a "sharp object" at about 08:50 BST.

"A police spokesperson said: "A 17-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and remains in police custody.

"Police will remain at the scene throughout the day to provide assurances to those in the school and the local community.""

Full story: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-68935455