Margaret Thatchers Funeral 17th April 2013

The scenes in Goldthorpe today where disgusting and distasteful.

Oh well the residents of Goldthorpe will wake up tomorrow and will carry on living their sad pathetic lives and no doubt will go on harking back to events that happened 30 years ago.

I don't know if you've ever been to Goldthorpe, but I used to work round there. The people are ordinary, decent, and given half a chance, hard working, but the place is broken.

Ever since the pits closed this place has been plagued by unemployment and the resultant poverty. It has never fully recovered from Margaret Thatcher's legacy and probably never will. They have every reason to feel agrieved, they are the collateral damage of Thatcher's policies. Do you expect them to join in the eulogies for her?

I don't know if you've ever been to Goldthorpe, but I used to work round there. The people are ordinary, decent, and given half a chance, hard working, but the place is broken.

Ever since the pits closed this place has been plagued by unemployment and the resultant poverty. It has never fully recovered from Margaret Thatcher's legacy and probably never will. They have every reason to feel agrieved, they are the collateral damage of Thatcher's policies. Do you expect them to join in the eulogies for her?

I have also worked in Goldthorpe also down mines, and would agree with some of what you say,but should we still have continued to pump taxpayer subsidies into Goldthorpe to keep the community alive or was it time to move on? after all, the shipbuilding,car and steel industries were all there with their tongues hanging out.

Christ on a bike Anna it was 20 odd years ago ! Hiroshima was nuked and recovered quicker than goldthorpe has ! In more modern times sarijevo has probably recovered quicker. Closer still to home, former pit villages like eckington and killamarsh have recovered quicker, and they were massively reliant on mining. They ain't dore but they are sure as **** not goldthorpe or half a dozen other former pit villages that still think its 1985.

Glad it passed without incident and that on the whole it was dignified.

Now we can get down to the real issue and that is debating how to fix the disastrous consequences of the Thatcherite political consensus.

If it was all so terrible you'd have thought that the Labour Government of 1997-2010 would have done something about it?

Oh I've failed, worked for 40 years, got my own house lovely family & grandkids, somehow I don't call that failing. I'll bet you live at home with mummy & daddy, like I said your a ten bob millionaire.
"Oh I've failed, worked for 40 years, got my own house lovely family & grandkids, somehow I don't call that failing"

Ever thought it might possibly be your attitude to life?(serious question).

"Oh I've failed, worked for 40 years, got my own house lovely family & grandkids, somehow I don't call that failing"

Ever thought it might possibly be your attitude to life?(serious question).

With respect Oh Carol, Bypassblade was responding to someone who called his working life of 40 years mediocre.