Margaret Thatchers Funeral 17th April 2013

Couple of things, whilst it was correct for many years to refer to the Union flag as a Jack only when it flew on a Royal Navy ship it is now apparently acceptable to use the term Jack at any time. This has come about because custom & practice will always, eventually, wear down tradition. Of course in some countries it is referred to as the Butchers Apron :(

Secondly, whilst I have made plain my distaste for Margaret Thatcher & her politics previously on this thread, the decision of Sheffield Council not to fly the flag at half mast on this occasion is petty in the extreme.

My main quarrel with Thatcher was that she forgot she was PM of the whole country & favoured certain factions over others.

Well that works both ways. Sheffield City Council are responsible for all the city's residents not just the one's who share their political viewpoint.

It may come as a shock to the council but some Sheffielders, friends of mine amongst them, are Tory's.

They have made themselves look pathetic & have given an impression of this City which is undeserved as far as the majority are concerned.

It may come as a shock to the council but some Sheffielders, friends of mine amongst them, are Tory's.

Well if you and Rupert felt so strongly about her there was nothing to stop you paying loads of money for a privatised early morning train journey to see her off.

I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Perhaps now Margaret Thatchers funeral is over some Sheffielders can now move on and carry on with their lives and put their hatred and bitterness to rest along with her.Glad her funeral did not turn into unpleasant scenes as well,everybody deserves a dignified sending off no matter what their political leaning.Some made their protest without causing any bother which in a democratic society they should be rightly entitled to do.I would not want to live in a country where free speech is stifled.

Well if you and Rupert felt so strongly about her there was nothing to stop you paying loads of money for a privatised early morning train journey to see her off.

Read some of my earlier posts, I detested the woman. That doesn't mean that I have the right to deny other people their viewpoint.

Some of us are actually capable of seeing both sides of a situation.

As I have said previously on this thread, history will destroy Thatchers reputation, in my opinion of course.

Couple of things, whilst it was correct for many years to refer to the Union flag as a Jack only when it flew on a Royal Navy ship it is now apparently acceptable to use the term Jack at any time. This has come about because custom & practice will always, eventually, wear down tradition. Of course in some countries it is referred to as the Butchers Apron :(

Secondly, whilst I have made plain my distaste for Margaret Thatcher & her politics previously on this thread, the decision of Sheffield Council not to fly the flag at half mast on this occasion is petty in the extreme.

My main quarrel with Thatcher was that she forgot she was PM of the whole country & favoured certain factions over others.

Well that works both ways. Sheffield City Council are responsible for all the city's residents not just the one's who share their political viewpoint.

They have made themselves look pathetic & have given an impression of this City which is undeserved as far as the majority are concerned.

Totally agree with you but dont admit to being a tory in public in sheffield,it is not allowed.:hihi::hihi:

Perhaps now Margaret Thatchers funeral is over some Sheffielders can now move on and carry on with their lives and put their hatred and bitterness to rest along with her.Glad her funeral did not turn into unpleasant scenes as well,everybody deserves a dignified sending off no matter what their political leaning.Some made their protest without causing any bother which in a democratic society they should be rightly entitled to do.I would not want to live in a country where free speech is stifled.

If people didn't agree with Thatcherism before there's no reason they should accept it now. We are still subject to Thatcherite policies and I'm hoping there can be a constructive debate about moving on, because the policies haven't worked.

Perhaps you'd like to remember you're helping to pay for it and thanks to her you'll probably have to work an extra 10 years before you qualify for a pension. I only had to wait an extra year but I can't afford to retire. I've got used to the little luxuries in life like eating