Cyclist Kills Pensioner

There's a place for riding in a 'chain gang' like this, and Regents Park isn't it. Peak District - yes. Two lane country roads - yes. A road through a park - no. 

There are people in London who want to behave as if they are not in a crowded city - they can't have it both ways. If you want to ride peleton style, take your bike into Essex or Sussex. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Delbow said:

There's a place for riding in a 'chain gang' like this, and Regents Park isn't it. Peak District - yes. Two lane country roads - yes. A road through a park - no. 

There are people in London who want to behave as if they are not in a crowded city - they can't have it both ways. If you want to ride peleton style, take your bike into Essex or Sussex. 

Exactly . :thumbsup: . They are in racing formation , try to go as fast as they can through a public park.

3 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Exactly . :thumbsup: . They are in racing formation , try to go as fast as they can through a public park.

I used to cycle commute through Regents Park - it is a regular road in terms of the law, but it doesn't feel like somewhere you would drive the way you usually would and it's not appropriate for that kind of riding. I usually got some macho ******* trying to race me, I'd let them go in front then slipstream them. Aggressive, pushy, macho Londoners - got no time for them.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Spot on 👏

The police in this case have failed massively in this case. Although there is no current offence of causing death by dangerous cycling there was an option for them to charge the rider with Wanton & Furious cycling leading to injury or death.

It's an old law but there are recent precedants for it's use, notably the conviction of Charlie Alliston. Sadly it only carries a maximum sentence of 2 years but it's better than nothing. 

I have previously reported cyclists 'street-racing', which in my view is what Fitzgerald and his group were doing, only to be told that police cannot stop them. 

There's a massive disparity when it comes to dealing with errant cyclists vs any other road user, including pedestrians. In recent months a PEDESTRIAN was jailed for manslaughter because she shouted at a cyclist riding at her on the pavement and startled the rider who then swerved into traffic  and was hit. 

The current setup is imbuing cyclists with the idea that they are virtually untouchable.

• Like 2

The Police just ignore cyclist riding on dark nights without any lights and also  riding on pavements and riding through shopping centres, there should be an  enforceable  Law regarding riding in the dark without lights and even a high vis garment plus riding on pavements and shopping centers.  :roll:

• Like 2

Just now, PRESLEY said:

The Police just ignore cyclist riding on dark nights without any lights and also  riding on pavements and riding through shopping centres, there should be an  enforceable  Law regarding riding in the dark without lights and even a high vis garment plus riding on pavements and shopping centers.  :roll:

is the public interest served  or  just your need for  arousal ?

in the  case   raised in the orignal case   unsure why a S 35  OAtPA 1861  charge /  prosecution  could  not be  laid ? there  are also  charges that may be laid under the Town Police Clauses act  related to furious cycling ... 

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/24-25/100/section/35

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/10-11/89/section/28

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/whats-legal-and-whats-not-your-bike

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, m williamson said:

The man himself told the coroner that they were travelling at up to 29 MPH in aerodynamic ' paceline ' formation to maximise speed when he struck the lady.

How much proof do you need?  The point is that the speed limit doesn't apply to cyclists because of an oversight, cyclists have killed pedestrians before and should be liable to the same restraint as any other person driving a potentially dangerous object, mechanically propelled or not.

I dont need the proof, the police need the proof and an offence. With a good lawyer, motorists escape speeding fines.

The cyclist will have their own speedos or maybe they were using Google, not admisable in any court.

Edited by El Cid

Shows how important it is to have respect for others and consideration whatever mode of transport. Seems that a lot of cyclists regard their mode of transport morally superior to anyone else.

I use the Transpennine trail a lot and cyclists just expect you to jump out of the way, surprised more dogs aren’t killed or maimed. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Agreed. Delivery drivers don’t seem to adhere to rules and common  sense

• Like 1