Cyclist Kills Pensioner

51 minutes ago, Resident said:

The police in this case have failed massively in this case. Although there is no current offence of causing death by dangerous cycling there was an option for them to charge the rider with Wanton & Furious cycling leading to injury or death.

It's an old law but there are recent precedants for it's use, notably the conviction of Charlie Alliston. Sadly it only carries a maximum sentence of 2 years but it's better than nothing. 

I have previously reported cyclists 'street-racing', which in my view is what Fitzgerald and his group were doing, only to be told that police cannot stop them. 

There's a massive disparity when it comes to dealing with errant cyclists vs any other road user, including pedestrians. In recent months a PEDESTRIAN was jailed for manslaughter because she shouted at a cyclist riding at her on the pavement and startled the rider who then swerved into traffic  and was hit. 

The current setup is imbuing cyclists with the idea that they are virtually untouchable.

As someone who cycles, I can tell you that I feel anything but untouchable. I get that you probably mean by the law, but my health, wellbeing (and sometimes life) are regularly put at risk by people in cars and vans. That suggests that they feel untouchable.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

Agreed. Delivery drivers don’t seem to adhere to rules and common  sense

Your correct and I blame the insane amount of deliveries the have to make per day to earn owt.  :gag:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

The Police just ignore cyclist riding on dark nights without any lights (1) and also  riding on pavements and riding through shopping centres(2), there should be an  enforceable  Law regarding riding in the dark without lights and even a high vis garment plus riding on pavements and shopping centers.  :roll:

There are laws already in place: 

(1) The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, Sec 13, 18 & 24. 

It also outlines the max brightness of forward facing flashing white lights, of which practically EVERY modern bicycle light exceeds. 

(2) Highway Act 1835, Sec 72 & Roads (Scotland) Act 1984 Sec 129

Although there is no requirement for high visibility clothing. 

The issue we face is we have a police FARCE not a police force. The only time SYP are willing t oget out of their cars is to go into the takeaway for food or the lucrative footy overtime...

5 minutes ago, Resident said:

It also outlines the max brightness of forward facing flashing white lights, of which practically EVERY modern bicycle light exceeds. 

The issue we face is we have a police FARCE not a police force. The only time SYP are willing t oget out of their cars is to go into the takeaway for food or the lucrative footy overtime...

What’s that saying ? We get the police force we deserve. And folk keep voting Tory who get the green light to make more public sector cuts. So….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

I dont need the proof, the police need the proof and an offence. With a good lawyer, motorists escape speeding fines.

The cyclist will have their own speedos or maybe they were using Google, not admisable in any court.

As Resident posted above a woman was jailed for shouting at a cyclist who was riding on the pavement causing her to veer onto the road where she lost control of the bike, fell off and was killed by a car.

Although this was a tragedy for her and her family she shouldn't have been riding on the pavement in the first place. The woman who shouted at her is disabled, she has cerebral palsy and is partially sighted. Understandably that would make her nervous when she realised someone was cycling toward her on her right of way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaCoEPPIaec

The claim that she made a threatening gesture looks debatable on that video, she's pointing toward the road. The woman who was tragically killed made the decision to ride on the pavement and she made the decision to veer onto the road instead of dismounting and she was the one who accidentally lost control of the bike.

Three years jail sounds ridiculous for her reaction to what was happening.

Then we get the decision to let it go when an innocent old lady is killed by a cyclist who openly admits that he and his companions were exceeding the speed limit set for vehicles in the area.

Those cyclists should have been completely aware of the possibility of accidents happening involving pedestrians. The lone woman out walking had no such forewarning.

As Charles Dickens character Mr Bumble said " The law is an ass. "

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Resident said:

The Police in this Country just don't seem to do owt these days, a checkout assistant told me they don't even turn up to arrest shop lifters after being called,   even after loud excessive noise complaints have been made they won't even go and knock on the door of the perp and tell em to shurrup,  once I had a neighbour blasting music out from friday night till early hours saturday morning, the operater told me to report it the council and I said, what!  Its 3am saturday morning, the operater replied, go on monday, I replied it needs stopping now no one can get to flippin sleep,  no wonder neighbours  take it into their own hands and go toe to toe.  Cylist and the things I mentioned don't seem to matter to them any more, the bunch of lazy buck passers. :roll:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

The Police in this Country just don't seem to do owt these days, a checkout assistant told me they don't even turn up to arrest shop lifters after being called,   even after loud excessive noise complaints have been made they won't even go and knock on the door of the perp and tell em to shurrup,  once I had a neighbour blasting music out from friday night till early hours saturday morning, the operater told me to report it the council and I said, what!  Its 3am saturday morning, the operater replied, go on monday, I replied it needs stopping now no one can get to flippin sleep,  no wonder neighbours  take it into their own hands and go toe to toe.  Cylist and the things I mentioned don't seem to matter to them any more, the bunch of lazy buck passers. :roll:

it;s abundantly clear you have no idea  of the extent of the legitimiate and necessary  workload of the Police

no one is actually harmed  by loud music , when  on a night  the Police are strecthced out with RTCs, Dangeours drivers,  criminals who use the road net work as part of  organised crime , Violence against people  ( both Night time economy and domestic) , ensuring the safety of children and vulnerable adults and  direct and current risks of serious harm , which of those do you want them to neglect  to respond to your  complaint of trivial Anti social behaviour

17 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

My bold 

Same here when reports of street racing on our road are made. Chavs in cars racing up and down almost daily and sometimes the speeds are utterly ridiculous. On some nights multiple neighbours have called to report it but nothing ever seems to happen. Last year one of these chavs hit a car with a family in it coming out of McDonald's car park. Luckily no one was hurt but damn it was close.

10 minutes ago, NicolaJayne said:

it;s abundantly clear you have no idea  of the extent of the legitimiate and necessary  workload of the Police

no one is actually harmed  by loud music , when  on a night  the Police are strecthced out with RTCs, Dangeours drivers,  criminals who use the road net work as part of  organised crime , Violence against people  ( both Night time economy and domestic) , ensuring the safety of children and vulnerable adults and  direct and current risks of serious harm , which of those do you want them to neglect  to respond to your  complaint of trivial Anti social behaviour

You really don’t come across well .

• Like 1