The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

Trumps comments don't seem to have attracted much attention, I would have thought, given the outrage over Obamas intervention, certain posters might have been quick to vent their ire? :hihi:

If Gove is to be believed, then we never would have been able to strike the sort of deals Trump is talking about anyway :?

Oh dear......

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/27/trump-brexit-bomb-trade-deals-theresa-may

Downing Street insisted he was wrong, and that Britain would be free to strike trade deals once the transition period was over, but still, the damage is done. It seems President Obama was right to warn that Brexit would put us at the “back of the queue” for a trade deal with the US, although naturally that’s not quite how Brexiteers see it; for them, it’s proof not that Obama should have been heeded but that May must have got the wrong deal. It couldn’t possibly be their fault, because nothing ever is.

A sobering thought from the comments:

The EU has in place about 73 trade deals with countries around the world. For the UK Brexit resets that clock to zero. So that's 73 sets of tortuous negotiations just to catch up with were we are now in terms of trading with the world.

But even then we'll still be behind because the EU has a further 17 deals in the works right now and a queue of countries waiting behind that. Their trade deal negotiating machine is the best in the world and the truth is we will never catch up with the EU on international trade.

Edited by Magilla

21 minutes ago, L00b said:

’Prejudiced bigotry’? Is that what you accuse your friends of, when they tell you some hard truths instead of sugar-coating your alternative worldview?

prejudice

[prej-uh-dis]
noun
  1. an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
  2. any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.
bigotry
/ˈbɪɡətri/
noun
noun: bigotry; plural noun: bigotries
  1. intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself.

Your comments are both prejudiced and bigoted, as defined above. That's not meant as an insult against you, just an assesment of your sweeping generalisation of a nation, Your post was also  xenophobic, by definition.
    Referring to this country as a xenophobic cesspit is a huge insult to the vast majority of people who live here. You seem Ok with handing out 'hard truths' but don't like hearing them.

If you have specific people who you want to accuse of these things, because of specific comments they make then you are within your rights to. Just tarring a whole country with the same brush is unacceptable.
28 minutes ago, truman said:

What I'm saying is that if labour becomes too expensive here then companies will relocate..then there won't even be the lower paid jobs here..businesses will still base the  higher paid R+D stuff here but will move production to cheaper areas ( a la Dyson).where do the jobs come from then?.At the moment companies use the UK as a gateway to Europe..not sure that'll happen when we leave...have many companies indicated an option to start new factories here because of Brexit..?

I agree. There is a balance to be made. Unrestricted supply of labour doesn't allow a balance to made. There is a happy medium somewhere between the two. That's what we should be aiming for.

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

You demand examples of what harm is being caused, so people give personal examples.

You then attempt to use these personal examples of harm to show that this is selfishness on their part and that they're not interested in the bigger picture.

If someone doesn't give examples though, you declare that it's because no harm is being caused.

You're as transparent as a pane of glass.

And you are very predictable. Where have I declared that no harm is being caused? 

What is the reasoning behind May's round Britain tub thumping trip to extol the virtues of her Brexit deal.

Her current issue is to get it through Parliament.

Unless perhaps it is a precursor to the ever growing demand for a people’s vote to judge whether this deal gives the U.K. any benefit at all over remaining in the EU.

Secondly why push for a televised debate between herself and Corbyn.He only represents one view although I am not sure what this is after listening eagerly to PMQs over the last few weeks.

It might be a watchable and worthwhile debate if Boris or Rees Mogg for the hard liners,and Vince Cable were there to represent other views.

1 hour ago, woodview said:

Your comments are both prejudiced and bigoted, as defined above.

I don't think L00b is either prejudiced or bigoted (I know, I know... I would say that), and there is some truth to his comments given the surge in hate crime since the vote.

However..... I was struck, after reading the definitions, of how succinctly they sum up the various leave campaigns. Hell, it's almost a checklist! :thumbsup:

19 minutes ago, Magilla said:

I don't think L00b is either prejudiced or bigoted (I know, I know... I would say that), and there is some truth to his comments given the surge in hate crime since the vote.

However..... I was struck, after reading the definitions, of how succinctly they sum up the various leave campaigns. Hell, it's almost a checklist! :thumbsup:

Using the phrase 'Xenophobic cesspit'  is exactly 'Intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself'.

Do you think this country - of which you, your friends, your family are all part of is that ?

I don't. There are a small minority of nasty people here, as there are in most countries. People involved in hate crime need dealing with robustly, and thankfully they are a minority.

I believe most people here are good, kind, honest people. I have different opinions to many / most of them, but when someone describes a whole country as a cesspit, they have clearly moved on to a different level.

2 hours ago, Magilla said:

Trumps comments don't seem to have attracted much attention, I would have thought, given the outrage over Obamas intervention, certain posters might have been quick to vent their ire? :hihi:

They have attracted attention. Trump's comment are fair and truthful. The difference between Trump and Obama is that Trump is speaking after the UK democratic people made their decision to leave the EU and has discussed potential future trade deals with Mrs May who has led out country's Brexit  negotiations with the EU.   

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

What is the reasoning behind May's round Britain tub thumping trip to extol the virtues of her Brexit deal.

Her current issue is to get it through Parliament.

Unless perhaps it is a precursor to the ever growing demand for a people’s vote to judge whether this deal gives the U.K. any benefit at all over remaining in the EU.

Secondly why push for a televised debate between herself and Corbyn.He only represents one view although I am not sure what this is after listening eagerly to PMQs over the last few weeks.

It might be a watchable and worthwhile debate if Boris or Rees Mogg for the hard liners,and Vince Cable were there to represent other views.

You have answered your own question regarding the reasoning behind Mrs May round Britain trip

But this is where her lack of willingness to listen comes through - she says that she wants to sell her deal to the people of Britain, but she isn't listening to the fact that now she has told us what she thinks, the people of Britain want an opportunity to tell her what they think.

She won't allow it- that ain't democracy in action!

If she still feels the need to gain approval, then how can the people of Britain show that approval unless they have a platform to do it on?

Total hypocrisy from the PM.

Using the phrase 'Xenophobic cesspit'  is exactly 'Intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself'.

Do you think this country - of which you, your friends, your family are all part of is that ?

Well, I'm pretty sure he's referring to the effects of the vote to leave, so I don't consider my friends and family slurred, they voted to remain :?

I don't. There are a small minority of nasty people here, as there are in most countries. People involved in hate crime need dealing with robustly, and thankfully they are a minority.

Though emboldened by the vote to leave, largely as a consequence of the xenophobic leave campaign prevailing.

I believe most people here are good, kind, honest people. I have different opinions to many / most of them, but when someone describes a whole country as a cesspit, they have clearly moved on to a different level.

As before, get a thicker skin, something tells me in the months (though more likely decades) to come, you'll be needing it :rolleyes: