The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

As I said earlier, all deals will damage the UK economy and as always, the poorest among us will suffer worst and that means Labour voters by and large.

Labour's best chance of power is to sack off Brexit altogether, force a general election then make Brexit the core election issue. I have always maintained that Labour standing on an anti Brexit ticket would not only garner significant support from remain Tories, Greens and Lib Dems but ironically the economic and financial markets would rally sterling at the prospect of a return to stability even if it was in the shape of a left of centre Corbyn government.

But the Lib Dems stood on an anti-Brexit ticket and support for them was laughable.

You are wrong when you say that the majority of Labour supporters are remainers. The majority of Labour supporters at the conference are remainers, but not of Labour voters. Northern towns that voted leave, they are traditional Labour heartlands.

Edited by Lex Luthor

You are wrong when you say that the majority of Labour supporters are remainers.

Am I really?

I don't know what crazy world you live in but in my world 67% is a majority! :suspect:

But the Lib Dems stood on an anti-Brexit ticket and support for them was laughable.

You are wrong when you say that the majority of Labour supporters are remainers. The majority of Labour supporters at the conference are remainers, but not of Labour voters. Northern towns that voted leave, they are traditional Labour heartlands.

Have a look here

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/06/27/how-britain-voted/

and make your own conclusions after seeing the facts..

No I’m not spouting nonsense.

You want any old Brexit, as long as it’s Brexit, regardless of the consequences.

The democratic people deserve better than to have those like yourself working against their interests.

Any Brexit deal should respect the referendum result and the wishes of the democratic people, who voted to leave the EU. The most likely outcome is the whole of the UK will stay in the customs union for at least a year after the UK leave the EU.

I am not working against anyone, but unlike you, I respect the democratic referendum result.

Any Brexit deal should respect the referendum result and the wishes of the democratic people, who voted to leave the EU.

They didn't!

Only 38% voted to leave. The vast majority didn't. That's why this is such a mess. There is no popular backing for it and it is being driven by a shouty minority.

That is why you are so terrified of a second referendum!

A free trade deal won't damage the poorest. I'd be interested how Labour can justifiable oppose that.

doesn't that depend on just what the terms of the deal are?

if one of the consequences of the deal is to make it cheaper to manufacture some things in the other place than the uk wont that have an adverse effect on some?

doesn't that depend on just what the terms of the deal are?

if one of the consequences of the deal is to make it cheaper to manufacture some things in the other place than the uk wont that have an adverse effect on some?

That was my gut feeling to be honest but I wasn't sure if I was over simplifying it. Manufacturing is bound to take a big big hit.

Have a look here

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/06/27/how-britain-voted/

and make your own conclusions after seeing the facts..

And it's clear that no one actually knows.

https://fullfact.org/europe/did-majority-conservative-and-labour-constituencies-vote-leave-eu-referendum/

YouGov based it's figures on a poll of 5500 people. Fullfact bases it's figures on the constituency voting pattern in the referendum and following 2017 election which is IMO a better method.

Polls are not facts.

Can you come up with data that shows that the majority of Labour supporters (not constituencies)didn't vote remain? Genuine question...

All this talk of respecting the referendum - the referendum didn't really respect the result of the '75 referendum, did it? (67% remain, 23% leave).

Or was that undemocratic in some way we weren't aware of?

If it wasn't, and it's ok to have multiple referendums on the same question, then how long needs to be left between referendums? 40 years - isn't that a bit anti-democratic?

Or is it the case that referendums and plebiscites are a terrible way to make decisions?

Or is it the case that referendums and plebiscites are a terrible way to make decisions?

And an even worse way to stave off a threat from the right of your party.