The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

Snailboy just likes asking endless questions, but doesn't offer his actual opinion or experience.

Of course you are also free to answer in a forum.

Free free to answer this

Under what trade agreement do you import/export at the moment?

I promise it's leading somewhere, I'll give you the next question in advance.

What trade agreement/deal will you need for your business not to suffer financially in the future?

Free free to answer this

Under what trade agreement do you import/export at the moment?

I promise it's leading somewhere, I'll give you the next question in advance.

What trade agreement/deal will you need for your business not to suffer financially in the future?

I trade with the eu on free trade.

I trade with china on wto.

Bothe work fine.

I can work fine in future either on wto or with an eu free trade deal.

The discussion that you ignored was that wto trade with tariffs can work quickly, with no customs hold ups. What is your experience or opinion of that?

I trade with the eu on free trade.

I trade with china on wto.

Bothe work fine.

I can work fine in future either on wto or with an eu free trade deal.

The discussion that you ignored was that wto trade with tariffs can work quickly, with no customs hold ups. What is your experience or opinion of that?

My opinion is below.

Wow, you think you currently trade with China on WTO terms?

It 'works fine' with China because of the EU trade agreement with China.

Even I know that and I don't run a import/export business with China

My opinion is below.

Wow, you think you currently trade with China on WTO terms?

It 'works fine' with China because of the EU trade agreement with China.

Even I know that and I don't run a import/export business with China

So, the eu has a free trade deal with China does it?

I don't run an import export business. I run a high tech manufacturing business, and have worked in multinational manufacturing for 25 years. You havn't told me if you have any life experience yet, beyond asking questions on forums.

The actual trade deal is another handy, endless question diversion.

The point is this. We CAN and DO, trade with countries, such as China where tariffs and trade restrictions exist. The transport of those goods is not complex and they don't sit in customs for long periods. The goods flow. The tariffs, import tax and vat, is payable after delivery to the carrier.

It doesn't suit you for that trade to be simple - but it is. It is because the tax payments are faciltated.

So, sit in your 'everythings impossible' world. People who can, and do make things happen will get on with it.

I don't run an import export business. I run a high tech manufacturing business, and have worked in multinational manufacturing for 25 years. You havn't told me if you have any life experience yet, beyond asking questions on forums.

The point is this. We CAN and DO, trade with countries, such as China where tariffs and trade restrictions exist. The transport of those goods is not complex and they don't sit in customs for long periods. The goods flow. The tariffs, import tax and vat, is payable after delivery to the carrier.

It doesn't suit you for that trade to be simple - but it is. It is because the tax payments are faciltated.

So, sit in your 'everythings impossible' world. People who can, and do make things happen will get on with it.

The key word here is 'currently', for the last 25 years of your business it has been under the regulations and benefits of being part of an EU member state, hence the transport of goods not being complex and not sitting in customs for long periods of time.

So, if this can all be solved by people who 'people who can, and do make things happen will get on with it', why are there plans in place to rehearse turning the M26 into a lorry park in the event of a no-deal?

How will your business be affected by that?

You must have a tiny business. Why have the likes of Honda said that the collapse of the free movement of goods would require them to build the third largest building on the planet to facilitate storing 9 days worth of parts for their manufacturing in the U.K. Logistically it is impossible and it would simply mean moving the manufacturing base to the EU.

You must have a tiny business. Why have the likes of Honda said that the collapse of the free movement of goods would require them to build the third largest building on the planet to facilitate storing 9 days worth of parts for their manufacturing in the U.K. Logistically it is impossible and it would simply mean moving the manufacturing base to the EU.

most businesses are tiny compared to the likes of Honda.

It appears, mr/mrs woodview don't appear to source their supplies from the eu so they probably wont notice much difference except maybe a little more delay and possibly an increase in costs. we should admire their patriotism in purchasing things from china rather than the hated eu. though you have to wonder how much more patriotic they would appear if they sourced their components from the uk.

honda on the other hand, have a business model based on an integrated just in time manufacturing process with a pan eu supply chain, anything which disrupts that core is likely to collapse the business model and lead to a new one which might not include manufacturing in the uk, but that's ok because brexiters believe in the midford plan and that doesn't need a uk manufacturing base.

Edited by andyofborg

Not sure on deliveries but wouldn't things from China etc travel through the eu too? Or is it a straight China, UK delivery route?

Not sure on deliveries but wouldn't things from China etc travel through the eu too? Or is it a straight China, UK delivery route?

I guess it depends on the method of transportation/carrier. I had an item via DHL that cleared customs in Germany.

Not sure on deliveries but wouldn't things from China etc travel through the eu too?

Yes. Shipping goes to Rotterdam and is then transferred to smaller vessels for onward shipping to EU destinations including the UK.

Rotterdam has massive ports to accommodate the world's biggest ships. The UK ports are not big enough for the goods ships coming from Asia.

Brexiters probably didn't have a clue about that and thought that goods came on small vessels that dock at Southampton. They'll probably suggest that China sends smaller vessels instead and won't consider the cost and environmental ramifications of that.

How Brexit is set to cause chaos at Europe's ports

most businesses are tiny compared to the likes of Honda.

It appears, mr/mrs woodview don't appear to source their supplies from the eu so they probably wont notice much difference except maybe a little more delay and possibly an increase in costs. we should admire their patriotism in purchasing things from china rather than the hated eu. though you have to wonder how much more patriotic they would appear if they sourced their components from the uk.

honda on the other hand, have a business model based on an integrated just in time manufacturing process with a pan eu supply chain, anything which disrupts that core is likely to collapse the business model and lead to a new one which might not include manufacturing in the uk, but that's ok because brexiters believe in the midford plan and that doesn't need a uk manufacturing base.

We source from china, usa, eu and uk actually, based on business need, not patriotism or politics.

All flow in the same fashion for us.

Automotive suppliers supplying JIT are concerned and they need to be listened to. That affects suppliers and cusyomers flows either way across the channel. That's why most level headed people want and expect a free trade deal. That will happen.

Believers of Cameron and Osborne on here will be dissapointed, but it will happen.

Yes. Shipping goes to Rotterdam and is then transferred to smaller vessels for onward shipping to EU destinations including the UK.

Rotterdam has massive ports to accommodate the world's biggest ships. The UK ports are not big enough for the goods ships coming from Asia.

Brexiters probably didn't have a clue about that and thought that goods came on small vessels that dock at Southampton. They'll probably suggest that China sends smaller vessels instead and won't consider the cost and environmental ramifications of that.

How Brexit is set to cause chaos at Europe's ports

thats what i was thinking, might be ok for Mr Woodview currently but after leaving, the same EU agreements need to be agreed again, just like any other...or it slows trade with China etc as well