Clarification Of Junction 33 - M1

I hardly ever use that slip road, but it still looks pretty obvious having used google street view how it's supposed to work.

Looking at the googlemaps link provided, I see no lane markings. Assuming that there actually are no lane markings and they aren't just obscured by a car sitting on top of them:

In the absence of lane markings, persons going right at a roundabout must use the right hand lane.

I'm really not sure how we got to three pages on this one. Are you?

The chap driving the 44-ton wagon might be excused if he actually cannot get round the roundabout on the inside lane.

Call me a queue jumper if you like, can live with that. You on the other hand need some sort of driver training if you would sooner stop on the M1 rather than use the left hand lane of the slip road.

Who said I was stopping on the M1? The traffic never backs up onto the motorway, the lights are controlled to prevent this.

Carry on doing what you do, one day you'll come a cropper and karma will make sure you get yours and the poor sod you hit will make your insurance premium rocket!

I was on junction 30 (barlborough) on Wednesday morning - in the left hand land to go straight on...a vauxhall estate reg starting DM11 didn't get the rest came at the side of me in the right hand lane (only two lanes) and turned left to enter the motorway - thus literally cutting straight across me to enter the M1 North - whoever that numpty was clearly was driving so dangerously I fear that he/she will be the cause of a serious accident. I slammed on my breaks and don't know how he didn't spin my car at the top of the sliproad - I had to pull over I was shaking...I heard on the radio on Wednesday morning there was then a two car accident at junction 37 - I can imagine it was the same irresponsible driver who doesn't know lane management - my only saving grace was not having two little ones in the car with me...

I was on junction 30 (barlborough) on Wednesday morning - in the left hand land to go straight on...a vauxhall estate reg starting DM11 didn't get the rest came at the side of me in the right hand lane (only two lanes) and turned left to enter the motorway - thus literally cutting straight across me to enter the M1 North

Looking at the google maps picture of this roundabout, you should only be in the left hand lane if you intend to leave at the next exit, not to go straight ahead. (road markings may direct you otherwise, but there don't appear to be any), thus to go straight ahead (as in to continue around the roundabout), you should be in the right hand lane.

From your description, it sounds like you were the one at fault.

Edited by Magilla

Am I right in thinking this is a photo of M1 jn33 north bound? I think it is as I know the area well. If I am right you can go left onto the Parkway from either lane and we usually use the right hand lane to get past slow vehicles. The left lane is for Parkway traffic only.

I can't follow what you are saying about the Rotherway unless I'm at the wrong bit of the roundabout.

Edited by Chez2

Am I right in thinking this is a photo of M1 jn33 north bound?

The sliproad under discussion is the one leaving the M1 southbound. I can't verify whether that's the correct picture for it.

Your confusion about Rotherway vanishes if it is indeed the southbound exit.

That said, using the opposite slip road (exit northbound) I've had a skip lorry nearly take me out as I was using the right hand lane to (legitimately) go straight into the right hand lane of the parkway, and he was using the left hand lane to go right and take the rotherway. Fortunately I thought he looked suspicious and so it wasn't entirely a surprise when he turned towards me.

I've also done exactly this - I almost hit a lorry in lane 1 which wasn't turning left on to the Parkway but going round towards Rotherway (or possibly back on to the M1). I now never use lane 2 of the slip road to get on to the Parkway (even though I am entitled so to do) just in case another driver in lane1 decides to ignore the signs.

I know the OP was on about coming from the Parkway rather than on to it, but some posters are also talking about this bit of the roundabout too. So it's clear that it is a bit of a mess signage and lane markings wise all round it. How many accidents happen at this roundabout? Where's Planner1 - on his holidays?

Edited by Bilge