Clarification Of Junction 33 - M1

If you use the link provided in the OP and follow the path of the left lane, it natually leads traffic to the 1st exit. To go on the Southbound M1 requires crossing the lane, effectively into the right hand lane.

The right hand lane has the option to remain within the lane and leave at the 1st exit or continue on the Southbound M1 or other exits without changing lanes.

So it would appear left lane = 1st exit

Left hand lane, leaving at 3rd exit does not mean you have to cut across any lane, cut anyone up or cause inconvenience to any driver in the right hand lane or indeed block anyone wanting to get onto Rotherway. Have a look, try it and then comment.

Should I be in the left lane and cut across to the right lane then yes it is wrong.

You need to have a closer look at the road markings in the link provided in the OP, see where the left hand lane leads to.

If you use the link provided in the OP and follow the path of the left lane, it natually leads traffic to the 1st exit. To go on the Southbound M1 requires crossing the lane, effectively into the right hand lane.

The right hand lane has the option to remain within the lane and leave at the 1st exit or continue on the Southbound M1 or other exits without changing lanes.

So it would appear left lane = 1st exit

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=m1+sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.399196,-1.350696&spn=0.009263,0.021329&sll=37.160317,-95.712891&sspn=33.322988,86.220703&t=h&layer=c&cbll=53.399291,-1.350581&panoid=mci6E1-rBrgrse88w1cHtg&cbp=12,42.35,,0,4.21&z=16

Yep, the left lane on road markings (although no arrows) seem to make the left lane a left only, not even straight across (since no one would want to go straight across I guess that makes sense).

Highway Code rule 186:

"When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

•signal right and approach in the right-hand lane

•keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout

•signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want"

SnailyBoy.

I am not discussing lane markings, just saying you can use the left lane to drive round to the Parkway without cutting anybody up, cause them to swerve, get in their way or cause inconvenience to anyone.

What is wrong with that?

SnailyBoy.

I am not discussing lane markings, just saying you can use the left lane to drive round to the Parkway without cutting anybody up, cause them to swerve, get in their way or cause inconvenience to anyone.

What is wrong with that?

But the markings are my point, if you follow the left hand lane marking from the slip road you go down rother way. If you follow the lane markings from the right lane to you go down rother way or around the round about.

So if you do go in the left lane and cut accross to go around the roundabout you are potentially cutting people up who are using the right lane to go in the second lane on rother way.

If that makes sense?

For a major roundabout in Sheffield it has really poor markings on this entrance.

SnailyBoy.

What is wrong with that?

There's quite a lot wrong with that.

What do you think the lane markings are there for?