Clarification Of Junction 33 - M1

when you are at this roundabout http://maps.google.com/maps?q=m1+sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.398889,-1.350996&spn=0,0.02105&sll=37.160317,-95.712891&sspn=33.322988,86.220703&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.398813,-1.351095&panoid=EzUB8PHaie7EBDyYBaDfJQ&cbp=12,35.83,,0,10.64 is the left lane on the slip road for going left only? And the right lane for going round the roundabout?

The reason I ask is I often see many people go up the left lane of the slip road(usually empty) and then carry on going around the roadabout. To me the floor marking suggest the left lane is for going left only?

Anyone care to clarify?

Regards

Edit: Infact the road markings suggest both left and right lane can go down Rother way and right lane can go around the round about?

in 1 word YES!!

P.s

if you are really asking this question how did you pass your driving text??

If you use the link provided in the OP and follow the path of the left lane, it natually leads traffic to the 1st exit. To go on the Southbound M1 requires crossing the lane, effectively into the right hand lane.

The right hand lane has the option to remain within the lane and leave at the 1st exit or continue on the Southbound M1 or other exits without changing lanes.

So it would appear left lane = 1st exit

Nailed!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

You can drive down the wrong side of the motorway and not hit anyone if there's no one on it, it doesn't make it right.

In your example above, there are two ways you can cut people up or potentially cause accidents, both of which would be your fault should they occur.

Are you saying you use the right hand lane to go down Rotherway?:confused:

Yes I can and I can do it without causing inconvenience to anyone. What is wrong with that?

Its clear to anyone with the exception of queue jumpers and people with no grasp of the highway code that if you're in lane 1 of the slip road you go down Rotherway. Maybe even back onto the M1 at a push, but certainly not the Parkway.

If you're in lane 2 of the sliproad you go into lane 1 of the roundabout and round onto the inside lane of the parkway.

Or move into lane 2 on the roundabout to go onto the outside lane of the parkway or back on the M1 north.

Just about everyone else on here has said the same.

SnailyBoy.

I am not discussing lane markings, just saying you can use the left lane to drive round to the Parkway without cutting anybody up, cause them to swerve, get in their way or cause inconvenience to anyone.

What is wrong with that?

If you want to go down the Parkway, why aren't you in the right hand lane?

Its clear to anyone with the exception of queue jumpers and people with no grasp of the highway code that if you're in lane 1 of the slip road you go down Rotherway. Maybe even back onto the M1 at a push, but certainly not the Parkway.

If you're in lane 2 of the sliproad you go into lane 1 of the roundabout and round onto the inside lane of the parkway.

Or move into lane 2 on the roundabout to go onto the outside lane of the parkway or back on the M1 north.

Just about everyone else on here has said the same.

Call me a queue jumper if you like, can live with that. You on the other hand need some sort of driver training if you would sooner stop on the M1 rather than use the left hand lane of the slip road.

Call me a queue jumper if you like, can live with that. You on the other hand need some sort of driver training if you would sooner stop on the M1 rather than use the left hand lane of the slip road.

At least you're not inconvenienced by all that pesky traffic in the correct lane.

Yes I can and I can do it without causing inconvenience to anyone. What is wrong with that?

Sorry for being rude boyfriday. Teeth put back in:)

You can't. If you go right when in the left hand lane you potentially cut people up twice, once where the right hand lane splits into two on the roundabout, and once where someone might decide to rejoin the motorway.

Are you saying you use the right hand lane to go down Rotherway?:confused:

No, I'm not.

If you go right when in the left hand lane you potentially cut people up twice, once where the right hand lane splits into two on the roundabout, and once where someone might decide to rejoin the motorway.

Those are the two potential accident spots to which I refer.

Edited by Magilla

I hardly ever use that slip road, but it still looks pretty obvious having used google street view how it's supposed to work.

That said, using the opposite slip road (exit northbound) I've had a skip lorry nearly take me out as I was using the right hand lane to (legitimately) go straight into the right hand lane of the parkway, and he was using the left hand lane to go right and take the rotherway. Fortunately I thought he looked suspicious and so it wasn't entirely a surprise when he turned towards me.