Clarification Of Junction 33 - M1

Why queue in the right lane when the left is empty? I filter and use whichever lane is the quietest. If those who queue in the right lane ultimately went to be on the left lane on the Parkway they should stick the the left lane, why switch lanes on the roundabout?

Similarly on the Northbound slip road, both lanes can be used to enter the Parkway as it should/is on the Southbound one.

There's hardly any traffic going off the motorway into Rovrum, most of it is bound for Sheffield. Filter and spread out: initiative

The right lane is the correct lane to be in for the Parkway. Your "initiative" is down to your own impatience and disregard for other road users, nothing more.

when you are at this roundabout http://maps.google.com/maps?q=m1+sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.398889,-1.350996&spn=0,0.02105&sll=37.160317,-95.712891&sspn=33.322988,86.220703&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.398813,-1.351095&panoid=EzUB8PHaie7EBDyYBaDfJQ&cbp=12,35.83,,0,10.64 is the left lane on the slip road for going left only? And the right lane for going round the roundabout?

The reason I ask is I often see many people go up the left lane of the slip road(usually empty) and then carry on going around the roadabout. To me the floor marking suggest the left lane is for going left only?

Anyone care to clarify?

Regards

Edit: Infact the road markings suggest both left and right lane can go down Rother way and right lane can go around the round about?

I drive around there often, have done for 28 years but have never really taken notice of the lanes. Today I got off at Jn 33 southbound and you are correct, both lanes can turn left onto the Rotherway. If anyone went anywhere other than the Rotherway in the left hand lane they would have to cut over the other lanes of traffic to stay on the roundabout.

This roundabout is a problem.

Blackburn Road, coming onto the Tinsley viaduct.

Since they have redone the markings, no-one has a clue. The entry onto the roundabout has two lanes. The roundabout itself now has three lanes. The lines indicate that the left lane onto the roundabout leads into the nearside two lanes ON the r/about, signed Rotherham/Meadowhall/M1. The right hand lane leads into the far lane on the r/about signed Meadowhall/M1.

I have had so many near misses due to people in the right hand lane on the entry slip drifting into the middle lane on the roundabout. The lines are clear to understand, yet people fail to maintain correct lane discipline.

Edited by fozzybear210

This roundabout is a problem.

Blackburn Road, coming onto the Tinsley viaduct.

Since they have redone the markings, no-one has a clue. The entry onto the roundabout has two lanes. The roundabout itself now has three lanes. The lines indicate that the left lane onto the roundabout leads into the nearside two lanes ON the r/about, signed Rotherham/Meadowhall/M1. The right hand lane leads into the far lane on the r/about signed Meadowhall/M1.

I have had so many near misses due to people in the right hand lane on the entry slip drifting into the middle lane on the roundabout. The lines are clear to understand, yet people fail to maintain correct lane discipline.

You are talking about jn 34.

Once you get to the lanes near the end of the roundabout at jn 34 the two lanes split into three before you get onto the roundabout. There are arrows showing you what to do. I agree people don't take notice at jn 34 though.

You are talking about jn 34.

Once you get to the lanes near the end of the roundabout at jn 34 the two lanes split into three before you get onto the roundabout. There are arrows showing you what to do. I agree people don't take notice at jn 34 though.

Not coming off the motorway, I'm talking about Blackburn road that runs along the side of the motorway, all the way past the big tower crane yard.

Which left hand lane, from the motorway N or S, from Barlborough or from Eckington?

You can go straight ahead from any of those left hand lanes IIRC.

From Eckington going over the M1 to Barlborough which I do every morning - in the left hand lane to go straight forward...the driver came in the right hand lane and cut straight across to the left to enter the slip road...how can that be my fault? If going left - first exit - why take the right lane? Normally at a roundabout it's the right hand lane for right right? Left for left or straight on? At the next Barlborough roundabout (Where the layby is) I turn left to Worksop - I can't see how that would be my fault!!!

From Eckington going over the M1 to Barlborough which I do every morning - in the left hand lane to go straight forward...the driver came in the right hand lane and cut straight across to the left to enter the slip road...how can that be my fault? If going left - first exit - why take the right lane? Normally at a roundabout it's the right hand lane for right right? Left for left or straight on? At the next Barlborough roundabout (Where the layby is) I turn left to Worksop - I can't see how that would be my fault!!!

Unless there is an arrow in the right-hand lane that specifies you can turn left from it (and I'm reasonably sure there isn't at that particular roundabout), then it was absolutely not your fault. The other driver was in the wrong.