Clarification Of Junction 33 - M1

The sliproad under discussion is the one leaving the M1 southbound. I can't verify whether that's the correct picture for it.

Your confusion about Rotherway vanishes if it is indeed the southbound exit.

Thanks for clearing that up. I've had a look at the picture again and the pylons would suggest it is the southbound exit as you suggest. I will have to look at the road markings tomorrow.

Am I right in thinking this is a photo of M1 jn33 north bound?
No, it's the south bound exit sliproad.
I think it is as I know the area well. If I am right you can go left onto the Parkway from either lane and we usually use the right hand lane to get past slow vehicles. The left lane is for Parkway traffic only.

That would be correct for the Northbound slip road.

I can't follow what you are saying about the Rotherway unless I'm at the wrong bit of the roundabout.

It's like someone was dropping little clues. ;)

Where in the highway code does it state that a left hand lane is only for turning left?

Signals and position.

When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

• signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
  • keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

• signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
  • keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want

Given that the straight on option is to rejoin the motorway (okay, that would be a valid manouever given the lack of markings), the only real option if in the left hand lane is to use the Rotherway.

If you actually use street view to move through that junction you'll see that the lane separation (not arrows) means you have to change lane (and potentially cut up someone) even to go straight ahead.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=53.398991,-1.350889&spn=0.009557,0.021329&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.399068,-1.350809&panoid=IO-3_DwvrS8iXgC6n4bxxQ&cbp=12,19.71,,0,-1.09

Take a look (this is after joining the roundabout from the slip using the left hand lane. Pan around and see behind and in front, and see how the white line separating the lane doesn't go around the roundabout but straightens and goes down the rotherway.

Then look here

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=53.399196,-1.350696&spn=0.009557,0.021329&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.399291,-1.350581&panoid=mci6E1-rBrgrse88w1cHtg&cbp=12,46.96,,0,-0.91

And see how the traffic in the right hand lane can at that point filter out to the left, any traffic in the left lane trying to continue around would cross a lane marking and cut up the filtering traffic.