Broomhill Residents Parking Scheme - Success?

resident spots empty

That's the point.

Business appears to be thriving in Broomhill. Only a 20 minute walk from Walkley or a few minutes on the 52 bus if you walk up to Heavygate.

And on the 52 (Stagecoach) from Hillsborough. I go to Broomhill for coffee & bits of shopping without the hassle of driving/parking.

That's the point.

You're saying that the point was for 50% of the potential parking to be unused on a saturday lunchtime.

Well forgive me for thinking that that is a pretty stupid aim.

In the mean time I'll be avoiding broomhill between 8 - 6:30 Mon - Sat, which is to the detriment of all the business around there.

Good lad.

If you have to pay, just stayaway. Sharrow, Broomhill, Broomhall, the city centre are places that personally I do not visit anymore due to the parking situation. I am sure that I am not the only one and the sooner that small single outlet retailers go bust the better. This will prove once and for all that these schemes are actually something that degrades the area and not enhances it.

The point is so that residents (and other permit holders) can find a space - it's a subtle but important point. Priority / favouritism is the stated aim.

If you have a permit you can expect to be able to find a space, as you found out. That wasn't the case before.

If you don't have a permit and you can't find a space you will think about doing something different in future, perhaps using a bus, walking, parking further away, or even going elsewhere if you're feeling churlish. It won't suit everyone but I haven't heard of Broomhill businesses being up in arms about reduced trade.

It's only 20p an hour and Broomhill is much easier to park in now than before so you do benefit.

like other people say wait till oct then the real effect will show

like other people say wait till oct then the real effect will show

Go on, I will ask the obvious, What is happening in October?

The point is so that residents (and other permit holders) can find a space - it's a subtle but important point. Priority / favouritism is the stated aim.

If you have a permit you can expect to be able to find a space, as you found out. That wasn't the case before.

If you don't have a permit and you can't find a space you will think about doing something different in future, perhaps using a bus, walking, parking further away, or even going elsewhere if you're feeling churlish. It won't suit everyone but I haven't heard of Broomhill businesses being up in arms about reduced trade.

It's only 20p an hour and Broomhill is much easier to park in now than before so you do benefit.

It's 60p an hour as I already said, there are about 20 spaces at 20p an hour, unsurprisingly all full.

It's not churlish, I wasted 20 minutes trying to find any space that I could park in. I could have gone pretty much anywhere else in the city in that 20 minutes, so I've no need to mess about in Broomhill if I know that parking will be ridiculous.

I'm with the 'if you have to pay, stay away' group personally. But I'd just like to say that the point about the hospital is daft - hospitals are open on Sunday as well as Saturday surely, so by that reckoning the scheme should be 7 days a week.

It's 60p an hour as I already said, there are about 20 spaces at 20p an hour, unsurprisingly all full.

I'm afraid you are wrong. All on-street and council run pay and display bays/car parks in Broomhill are 20p an hour. Same in Sharrow Vale. The car park above Somerfield is run by Excel and that is more expensive.

How does that make me wrong.

There are about 20 spaces. I didn't say that they didn't exist.

The car park above Somerfield was the only parking available, apart from the hundreds of spaces on the side roads being completely unused because the residents clearly don't need them.

How does that make me wrong.

There are about 20 spaces. I didn't say that they didn't exist.

The car park above Somerfield was the only parking available, apart from the hundreds of spaces on the side roads being completely unused because the residents clearly don't need them.

Why don't you ask the residents if they need them, instead of you telling them?