Broomhill Residents Parking Scheme - Success?

Planner1

What next - an outer controlled zone to stop this?

Where will it stop?

WHen the ring is in place and Osborne Road is the border are there plans to take it further out?

Ecclesal, Whirlow, Dore?????

Just how far??

Deepak

Yep, bring it on! Take it to Dore, start running trains to the city from the station there, or maybe trams on the train line, run the 30/50 bus (maybe as a greener electric trolleybus) every 2 minutes, this could get seriously good.:thumbsup:

There are a lot of streets in these zones that look more like car parks than roads. Fundamentally aren't roads for driving traffic down rather than parking on? Shurely we are all just choking on our own affluence and these schemes are the council trying to provide a solution and improving the situation of residents who should have priority in these areas.

10 years ago parking was no problem around Broomhill etc., why does eveyone have to get into their cars every morning and set off in the pursuit of the ever elusive "Free" parking space. I just don't believe that we all now HAVE to go everywhere by car.

Yes

I am told we are next in line after Sharrow so Im sorted

Although to repeat myself I dont currently have a problem

This scheme will migrate around the city

Then there will be an approximately 2 mile circle around the centre of residents parking

Wont this just dump the problem onto the border.

What next - an outer controlled zone to stop this?

Where will it stop?

Seriously I hear Osborne Road is the border in my area.

This is an easy walk for all of the curent Cemetary Road and eg Norwich Union commuters.

Have the council anticiapted this?

WHen the ring is in place and Osborne Road is the border are there plans to take it further out?

Ecclesal, Whirlow, Dore?????

Just how far??

Deepak

Of course we've anticipated displacement. It's bound to happen. We don't have the money to introduce the Peripheral Parking Zone in one swoop, so it's got to be done in stages. Wherever you make a zone boundary there will be some displacement into adjacent areas. When any new zone is implemented we are doing before / after studies in areas around the boundary, to see where displacement is happening and whether it is causing a problem. Where there is a problem, zone boundaries can be adjusted. There is a limit to how far people will walk to work.

Residents parking schemes are probably going to become a feature in many places around the city. Suburban shopping centres, around schools, colleges, major employment sites etc. There is huge demand for them, we have a long list of areas where people are requesting them.

I wouldn't have died because I was in hospital thanks to my own swift action.

But it seems a high price to pay three days fines possibly amounting to several hundred pounds for taking what seemed the best course of action at the time.

Gut reaction. I'm ill, get yourself to hospital in the shortest time possible.

What's wrong with that? And I was prepared to pay, there just wasn't any provision for my circumstances.

If the hospital provided long term parking that would have been the solution, I'm not trying to get out of paying, I just don't think the authorities have thought the problem through?

I don't think that anyone can realistically cater for the circumstances you describe within a parking scheme. Nothing will fit all cases. The area immediately around the Hallamshire is mostly 4 hour parking as this is thought to be sufficient for most hospital appointments / visits. The aim of the scheme is to reduce the effects of commuter parking, we can't do that without restricting the length of time you can park in the area.

As has been said in another post, the Parking Services people can rescind penalty charge notices in appropriate circumstances and there is the opportunity of an independant appeal if that fails.

I'm fairly new to Sheffield but the traffic and transport infrastructure including parking, public transport, speed humps, state of roads, over zealous enforcement etc seems to me to be one of the worst cities I've ever been to. By contrast the people here and those on this forum seem very loyal to the place compared with many other cities nearby and I think they deserve better treatment, the local council here is a disgrace.

I'm fairly new to Sheffield but the traffic and transport infrastructure including parking, public transport, speed humps, state of roads, over zealous enforcement etc seems to me to be one of the worst cities I've ever been to. By contrast the people here and those on this forum seem very loyal to the place compared with many other cities nearby and I think they deserve better treatment, the local council here is a disgrace.

I'd agree with the comment about the state of the roads, but not the rest..have you ever been to Leeds/Nottingham, where they have wide boulevards with 2 lanes flowing in each direction and STILL there is massive congestion???

People should remember that Sheffield is hilly and most of the major roads run along narrow valley bottoms with little scope for highway widening, with massive increase in car ownership, and then it's the council's fault for not sorting it out. It's time people started accepting that we are ALL part of the problem...I have recently given up my car, and have found it remarkably easy to get around by public transport, and I commute several miles across the city.

There's simply not enough road capacity for the numbers of vehicles wanting to travel/park. Something has got to give. There's no room to widen roads (unless people want their houses demolished) and unless we are start to take responsibility it's only getting worse.

I agree though, public transport does not serve the needs of everyone (not that it's ever going to), and is too expensive (well, First anyway - the Megarider is great value at £9.50 for all Stagecoach services).

Residents parking schemes are probably going to become a feature in many places around the city. Suburban shopping centres, around schools, colleges, major employment sites etc. There is huge demand for them, we have a long list of areas where people are requesting them.

So everyone with large houses with drives will be able to park their second and third cars outside them, people in terraced houses will be fighting over the reduced number of spaces on their streets, and no-one will be able to actually drive their cars anywhere as they won't be able to park when they get there. Great.

As you mention schools etc., can I ask a question about why people need to park on streets, which is this; why are schools, shopping centres, hospitals, pubs, and everything else built with insufficient parking? Is it not to do with planning guidelines in many cases?

1. There will be MORE space for residents, not less. With few exceptions only 1 permit per house is permitted so anyone with more than 1 car will have the same issues as everyone else.

2. The cause is an unforeseen exponential increase in cars, not a lack of planning in the past.

I'd agree with the comment about the state of the roads, but not the rest..have you ever been to Leeds/Nottingham, where they have wide boulevards with 2 lanes flowing in each direction and STILL there is massive congestion???

I go to Leeds every day and I would say Sheffield is worse. Despite the efforts of lots of cities to curb car use people still do regardless of the cost, inconveniece and frustration so it seems to me that there should be more parking facilities. Maybe one of the parks near the town centre should be sacrificed and made into a mega multi storey car park for workers only i.e. they buy a season ticket. This would be particularly useful in the hospital and university areas which are responsible for most of this problem. Any new organisation building such facilities would have to provide on site parking.

Altenatively there should be large car parks on outskirts of city with a free park and ride and maybe it would be easier then for some people to drive away from the centre before catching a non stop bus back to town.