Broomhill Residents Parking Scheme - Success?

The Broomhill residents parking scheme started operating today. what do people think to it? Do you think it's successful?

give it a chance

OK, what are people's first impressions?

The Broomhill residents parking scheme started operating today. what do people think to it? Do you think it's successful?

Until thousands of residents return in October, how would anyone tell?

You probably need to state some sort of judgement criterion for 'successful', it's a pretty woolly term, which will mean different things to different victims^h^h^h^h^h^h^h observers.

[small]edited to correct spelling[/small]

OK, what are people's first impressions?

Well, the streets are certainly empty of parked cars today around this part of Broomhill - does that qualify as success?

Pointless parking bays offering a maximum of 2 hours stay...great idea! Right up there with building speed bumps on crumbling, pothole-strewn roads; pedestrian crossings with no visible indication of whether it is safe to cross; lethally slippery, nobbled paving stones at some road junctions..etc. It's all coming together nicely I think.

pedestrian crossings with no visible indication of whether it is safe to cross; lethally slippery, nobbled paving stones at some road junctions..etc. It's all coming together nicely I think.

I believe you're referring to Puffin crossings, the ones with the indicators on the near side? This is the new type of crossing that the Government tells us to use. They do have kerbside and on-crossing detection so that the crossing cancels a push button demand if the pedestrian walks off before the green man comes up and they can extend the green man time if pedestrians are slow in crossing or there are large number of them.

Again, regarding the tactile paving, the Government tells us we should use it to let blind / partially sighted people know they are at a crossing point.

First impressions are rather good actually. Previously if we moved a car we wouldn't expect to be able to park again until after 6pm.

Now the residents parking bays and the limited stay bays are in place there's been space all day with vehicles turning over consistently. It seems to be working a treat so far. :)

I drove through Broomhill today too and I was amazed at how many empty residents bays there were.

I didnt need to stop but a quick scan as safety would allow suggested there were a fair number of 20p spaces - again not a bad deal for a shopper.

This scheme will live or die tomorrow though when the schools round Clarkehouse Road return.

I didnt see ANY limited stay bays round here, although I accept Oakholme road has a good ration.

If you promise you will enforce drop offs at the High School you will get a vast amount of traffic off the road, which is a good thing.

However if the parents doing drops here just persist in parking in the middle of the road whilst getting their kids out then it will remain gridlock, this will spill onto the main arterials and you wont have removed any vehicles from the streets.

How vigorous will you enforce round here?

Will you ticket a car parked in a residents bay for 2 mins whilst dropping kids off?

You will have to if this scheme is going to have any effect

What are your plans for those parents who just stop in the middle of the road, not in a residents bay, but causing an obstruction to other traffic?

Please tell

Deepak

I drove through Broomhill today too and I was amazed at how many empty residents bays there were.

I didnt need to stop but a quick scan as safety would allow suggested there were a fair number of 20p spaces - again not a bad deal for a shopper.

This scheme will live or die tomorrow though when the schools round Clarkehouse Road return.

I didnt see ANY limited stay bays round here, although I accept Oakholme road has a good ration.

If you promise you will enforce drop offs at the High School you will get a vast amount of traffic off the road, which is a good thing.

However if the parents doing drops here just persist in parking in the middle of the road whilst getting their kids out then it will remain gridlock, this will spill onto the main arterials and you wont have removed any vehicles from the streets.

How vigorous will you enforce round here?

Will you ticket a car parked in a residents bay for 2 mins whilst dropping kids off?

You will have to if this scheme is going to have any effect

What are your plans for those parents who just stop in the middle of the road, not in a residents bay, but causing an obstruction to other traffic?

Please tell

Deepak

Enforcement will be carried out as vigourously as anywhere else in the city. You only need to look at the Star article a few days ago to see that most people think that the Concil Parking Attendants are pretty "keen".

If people obstruct the highway, it's obstruction and thus a matter for the Police. The Council has no powers to enforce this.

Anyone wanting to drop people off (ie stop, let them out and then drive off) can do so on a double or single yellow line which does not have a loading restriction (look for the yellow "bar" marks on the kerb and see the associated sign plates for the hours of operation of a loading restriction).

If people need to park to walk their children to the school entrance, they should park in the correct type of bay and pay the appropriate fee (ie 20p per hour)

If people park in a permit only bay and walk off, they should expect a penalty, similarly if people park in a pay & display bay, walk off and don't pay, they too can expect a penalty.

Can you clarfify where blue badge holders can park please? We've had one all day in a limited stay bay.

Can you clarfify where blue badge holders can park please? We've had one all day in a limited stay bay.

Blue badge holders can park in limited waiting bays without time limit or charge. For further info see the terms and conditions: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/parking/residents-parking/copy-of-broomhill-permit-parking-scheme