Broomhill Residents Parking Scheme - Success?

The problem I had was that it's all resident parking and was 50% empty. There is a small council cark park that takes <20 cars of Spooner road, full. So given that you said that people parking anywhere that isn't now P&D were parking stupidly, can you explain why previously parking on Spooner road (you can find it on google maps) was stupid.

I think that Tony was alluding to the fact that before the scheme, all around the area, people used to park in somewhat dubious locations, even on yellow lines, because they knew there was only occasional enforcement.

The Council car park was also renovated as part of the scheme (as was the one on Whitham Rd adjacent to the Nottingam House pub). The layout of the car park was improved to get more spaces and abandoned cars were removed, better lighting installed, vegetation trimmed etc.

The visitor parking in that very small area is provided by the Council Car Park and the rooftop car park. If you want on-street pay & display parking in that area, there is plenty on Taptonville Rd, Sale Hill and Lawson Rd with limits up to 4 hours.

It's okay, I don't, I'm not going to use the businesses around there anymore as parking is far too much of a hastle.

I parked near Taptonville Rd last week.It was 20p and I thought that was OK.

Has it been an overall success in Broomhill?

I parked near Taptonville Rd last week.It was 20p and I thought that was OK.

Has it been an overall success in Broomhill?

The Council did a review of the scheme last year and asked locals what they thought of it and what changes they wanted.

Results are detailed at: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/parking/permit-parking/broomhill-permit-parking-scheme/broomhill-scheme-review

Seems people were generally happy with the scheme, a good number of minor "tweaks" were requested, 65% of which are being implemented.

From SCC wesite:

"the proposed changes are to:

provide additional enforcement in the Broomhill shopping area

expand the scheme boundaries to take in a small existing permit scheme

add evening taxi ranks and allow for ‘car club’ bays in the future

deliver around 65% of all requests for minor amendments to the scheme

meet the requests of petitioners for new lines on Hoole Lane

produce a parking guide for Broomhill"

The 15 minutes free parking idea trialled in Sharrowvale is being extended to Ecclesall Road and Broomhill in an attempt to attract more customers to the shops - see story in the Star.

Strange really since according to Planner1 parking in these places is so much easier than before and the 20p charge is nothing to anybody, and any drop in custom since the parking scheme was introduced which has caused shops to close down is due to the recession. And yet presumably this idea has worked well enough in Sharrowvale to extend it to other places.