Illegal Tree Felling At Fox Hagg Nature Reserve

From Sheffield & Rotherham Wildlife Trust:

“Sadly, a large number of trees have been illegally felled at Fox Hagg nature reserve in recent weeks.

👀 Did you see anything or have any information? South Yorkshire Police and the Forestry Commission are investigating and appealing for information.

“South Yorkshire Police can be contacted on 101 using the crime reference 298/240424, or email us at nature.reserves@wildsheffield.com.”

IMG_4175.jpegIMG_4177.jpegIMG_4176.jpegIMG_4178.jpeg

33 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Felled for what reason, they appear to be still there? :huh:l

I was about to say the same! When I read the title I thought it might be people wanting to feed their wood burning stoves (after waiting for it to dry out for a couple of years or whatever it is...)

29 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Felled for what reason, they appear to be still there? :huh:l

That’s the question! They have apparently been randomly (and badly) chainsawed and dropped but left in place — i.e. the timber hasn’t been stolen.

Some of the trees were left dropped over footpaths, creating work for staff at the Wildlife Trust having to clear them for people to pass when they could be doing more valuable or charitable work. 🤬 

I’m told the area seems to be nearby where the Three Merry Lads was (before it closed down 🙁) so there’s a few houses/gardens backing onto the nature reserve there… it is easy to speculate why they might have been felled in that scenario.

Hopefully the Police and Forestry Commission will fully investigate and find out who has done it.

• Like 1