First Busses Tap On Tap Off

I don't catch busses often but today I got on one of the new Tap On Tap Off busses, where you tap your bank card when boarding, then again when alighting the bus and it automatically calculates and charges the correct fare. Seems a good system. similar to London Underground.

But what happens when catching multiple busses in a day? I know the total daily fare is capped at the price of a day ticket (£5.20?) but if one of those busses isn't a Tap On/Off bus then you'd surely end up paying more as that fare wouldn't count towards the capped daily fare?

Also what happens if you don't tap off? Does it just charge you £2 single fare? Does that still count towards the multiple capped fare journeys?

ALL First buses in Sheffield are TOTO, so that isn't an issue. If you don't tap off, then (a) you are charged the maximum £2.00 for that journey, and (b) it doesn't count towards the daily charge.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

ALL First buses in Sheffield are TOTO, so that isn't an issue. If you don't tap off, then (a) you are charged the maximum £2.00 for that journey, and (b) it doesn't count towards the daily charge.

The second bus I caught didn't have a tap off pad, as far as I could see.

1 minute ago, WarPig said:

The second bus I caught didn't have a tap off pad, as far as I could see.

They are sometimes on the offside of the vehicle, but if you don't see one, you can 'tap off' on the drivers machine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

They are sometimes on the offside of the vehicle, but if you don't see one, you can 'tap off' on the drivers machine.

Thanks, that makes sense.

For an adult a single fare is £2, so I guess if I don't tap off then I'll just be charged £2 anyway, but then it wont cap at the daily ticket amount?